RAISING THE BARN

An update on the Powell High School’s new agriculture barn.

Whitney Jones

More stories from Whitney Jones

Whitney Jones

Powell High School’s new agriculture barn.

For the PHS agriculture program, the wait is almost over. After about two years of planning and coordinating, the agricultural facility is nearly complete. 

Around three acres of land is being utilized for the agricultural facility, which is expected to be completed in mid to late October. The barn itself is composed of three separate parts; the meeting room, the vet science lab and a dirt arena.  

The rest of the acreage is yet to be decided, but will most likely be filled with smaller structures like a greenhouse, wash racks for livestock, a feed and tack room and an outdoor show arena. 

“A name for the facility is yet to be decided,” said junior Madison Harvey, who is also serving as the Powell Shoshone FFA’s Second Vice President for the 2020-21 school year. “We want the name to encompass all that we’re accomplishing and show that it will focus on agriculture and education in our community.” 

This facility is going to play a major role for the FFA chapter and will allow the students, as well as the community, to expand their involvement with agriculture. 

This barn is going to enrich our agricultural learning experience in ways nobody would have imagined.

— PHS junior Madison Harvey

“Access to this facility will allow existing FFA members as well as new non-traditional students to benefit,” PHS agriculture teacher Mr. Bryce Meyer said. “For example, if we were to hold a swine nutrition clinic on a Saturday, it would not necessarily be only for the students.” 

With the entrance of this facility, the agriculture curriculum is going to change as well. 

“My teaching will definitely need to change in order to figure out how to use the new building to the best of our ability,” Meyer said. “I will be able to use the meeting room to give instruction and then utilize the rest of the facility to demonstrate and practice what we have learned.”

As the count down to the opening nears and the construction company finishes, final thoughts are in the minds of many.

“The most important thing to realize is that this isn’t just a waste of money,” Harvey said. “The dedication of the community, the FFA chapter, and of course, our advisor is finally paying off, and we couldn’t be more grateful for everyone that’s helped us get to this point.

“I’m thankful to live in a community that supports its youth and never gives up. This barn is going to enrich our agricultural learning experience in ways nobody would have imagined.”