UPON A STAR

The Prowl Staff shares their thoughts on the Powell High School Make-A-Wish Week

Sawyer Wormald tied for first in his age group for the Make -a-Wish 5k.

For the first time in over a year, school felt, well, almost normal last week.

Powell High School participated in the annual Make-A-Wish week to raise money for the charity that grants wishes for children diagnosed with a critical illness. Last year, the event was canceled due to the COVID-19 quarantine. Regardless of the pandemic this school year, the fundraising events and activities took place from March 29-April 3.

Alongside dress-up days, toilet tag and overall unification in the school, students said it felt like a break from this unfamiliar and unconventional school year. In appreciation of the events and activities the Prowl staff shared their favorite parts of the week:

“It’s crazy what a bunch of oddly dressed teens can do,” PHS sophomore and Prowl Sports Editor Nathan Feller said. “I found it impressive to see what a week of random dress-up days and a few fundraising games could rake in for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.”

“There was something for everyone,” senior and Prowl Reporter Bailey Philips said. “Between the Best in the West competition, the 5K, the Minute to Win It challenge, the parking raffle and the Toilet Tag, there was no way to resist the joy of giving during PHS’s Wish Week.”

“I’m amazed that the students and staff at PHS raised so much money,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Alexis Terry said. “Make-A-Wish is a great cause and I’m proud that so many people participated in donating. Student council also had great ideas to make it fun to donate.”

“Even with COVID-19 present, PHS’ spirit still shined through,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Gabby Paterson added.

“It was really nice to see that even without having a big assembly, we were about to utilize our technology and make some really cool videos,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Chase Anderson said. “I think this really helped with keeping students engaged and excited about the week.”

“Make-A-Wish week was very influential this year,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Shelby Fagan said. “I felt that the Student Council team did a great job of getting the word out and doing a surprise dress up day. The dress up day really encouraged the donations for the week as well.”

“Overall I was proud to see the students of PHS participating in the dress- up days, even if they didn’t dress up some ended up donating money,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Maddie Campbell added.

“I was very impressed with the amount of care that the PHS Student Council members put into planning Wish Week,” senior and Prowl Features Editor Addy Moretti said. “Although the school didn’t physically come together, I felt like we were more united as a student body. What we accomplished was super impressive and I couldn’t be more proud of the outcome or the steps taken to get there.”

“I hope that we were able to make some wishes come true,” sophomore and Prowl Reporter Jordyn Schuler added.