FEATHER IN HER CAP

Powell High School junior wins this years’ duck stamp contest

Alexis Terry

More stories from Alexis Terry

SUMMER BUCKET LIST
May 26, 2022
Displayed+in+the+picture+is+the+duck+stamp+winning+painting+by+Brianna+Evelo.+

Displayed in the picture is the duck stamp winning painting by Brianna Evelo.

One participant in the duck stamp contest from PHS, junior Brianna Evelo, won this year’s duck contest. She painted a northern pintail duck. In Evelo‘s art, the duck is wading through purple-blue water with pink and yellow flowers on the surface

The duck stamp contest is an art competition between students in the state of Wyoming. Each participant is to draw/paint a duck. The purpose of the competition is to teach about wetland habitats and to help keep students connected with the environment. 

“I love their long slender tails,” Evelo said. “I loved the duck’s pose. It was unique compared to the ducks swimming in the water.” 

This was Evelo’s first time painting with oil paints. She believed that the technique with the oil paints pushed her to work better. 

“I think this challenge did push me,” Evelo said. “Trying to make the details in the feathers was also challenging because I had to make the right color.” 

Added PHS art teacher Mr. James Gilman: “I think it always improves a student’s skill by doing a project like that.” 

This award-winning painting took Evelo about a month. She worked on the painting for two periods every day. 

“I was ecstatic [when I heard I won],” Evelo said. “I had only gotten honorable mention last year. I was really proud because I had tried really hard to make this year’s duck look a lot better.” 

— PHS Junior Brianna Evelo

Added Gilman: “I was very excited.”

Evelo has been drawing since she was little and she’s always enjoyed doodling and creating art. She said that her grandma was the first person to pique her interest in art. 

“My grandma has a craft room at her house,” Evelo said. “She would let me make one of her projects she had.” 

Evelo can see herself in the future in some sort of art program or job. She’s not entirely sure what she wants to do just yet, she might study video game design and do commissions on the side.