STATE BOUND

Many PHS track athletes pre-qualify for state

Taryn Feller

More stories from Taryn Feller

TRUE CRIME
May 26, 2022

Tonya Bartholomew

(From left) Freshman Waycee Harvey, junior Jenna Hillman, and sophomores Megan Jacobsen and Anna Bartholomew present their baton on May 1. They placed first in the 1600 Medley Relay for girls at the Lovell meet.

Track season is coming to an end and the Powell High School Track and Field athletes are preparing for state. Each athlete has been improving themselves by meeting new personal records and pre-qualifying for state.

“I’m feeling really good; we have kids that are working hard and having fun,” head Track and Field coach Mr. Scott Smith said. “I’ve been having fun just watching kids get better.” 

Multiple athletes have already pre-qualified for state from all grades including one freshman. Waycee Harvey has pre-qualified for many events including the 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, long jump and the 4×400-meter relay with team members Jenna Hillman, Anna Bartholomew and Megan Jacobsen.

I’m feeling really good; we have kids that are working hard and having fun. I’ve been having fun just watching kids get better.

— Coach Scott Smith

“I’m super excited to compete [at state] and see how it turns out,” Waycee Harvey said. “I have a lot of expectations for myself and I really hope to progress a lot by the time I’m a senior.” 

Others including sophomore Grace Coombs (discus), juniors Hillman (100m dash, 200m dash and 400m dash) and Reagan Thompson (discus), and seniors Emma Karhu (300m hurdles, 100m dash and pole vault) and Cassidy Miner (shot put and discus) have pre-qualified for state. 

“I went to state as a freshman, and it was so much fun,” Hillman said. “I’m looking forward to going back. It will be exciting to run against everyone in our class and see the results.” 

The Lady Panthers aren’t the only ones headed to state; many PHS boys have also achieved their goals as well.

Sophomore Hyrum Jeide (300-meter hurdles), juniors Reed Smith (100-meter dash, pole vault and 4×100-meter relay), Sheldon Shoopman (discus and shotput) and Toran Graham (shot put), seniors Kadden Abraham (100-meter dash, 300-meter hurdles, 4×400-meter relay and 4×100-meter relay), Zeke Frankenberry (discus), Riley Bennett (pole vault, 4×400-meter relay, and 4×100-meter relay) and Geordan Weimer (shot put) have also pre-qualified for state.

The 4×400-meter relay team that pre-qualified consists of team members sophomore Daniel Merrit, junior Cole Frank and seniors Kadden Abraham and Riley Bennett.