TRUE CRIME

PHS students who listen to true crime podcast share their reasons for why they do it

Taryn Feller

More stories from Taryn Feller

SPRING MUSICAL
May 2, 2022
An+episode+from+the+true+crime+podcast%2C+%E2%80%9CMorbid%E2%80%9D%2C+is+uploaded+onto+a+laptop.+

Taryn Feller

An episode from the true crime podcast, “Morbid”, is uploaded onto a laptop.

The Zodiac Killer, Jack the Ripper, The Leaf Killer and the ABC Killer are all names given to famous murderers. Could the nicknames of these popular killers be the reason people are so interested in them?

While the topic of true crime should be taken seriously, and everyone should be aware that real people were affected by these cases, it’s become a common activity to spend time listening to true crime podcasts. 

“I got into these types of stories because every now and then me and my family would watch ‘Forensic Files’,” sophomore Maddie Johnson said. “We would try to figure out who the murderer was before they revealed it.”

These podcasts are definitely more enjoyable when there’s a game added to it. People find these entertaining for reasons such as how the killer thinks, how the cases are solved or just because of how fascinating they can be. 

“[The reason I listen to True Crime] is because most serial killers or big time felons are really smart or their brain ticks differently,” sophomore Charlee Brence said. “The psychological aspect and intrapersonal clues have always intrigued me along with how they solve cases.” 

[The reason I listen to True Crime] is because most serial killers or big time felons are really smart or their brain ticks differently. The psychological aspect and intrapersonal clues have always intrigued me along with how they solve cases.

— Charlee Brence

When looking for a podcast to listen to, keep in mind that there are different types and styles to choose from. Some great podcasts that students in PHS listen to consist of “Morbid”, “Crime Junkie” and “Buzzfeed Unsolved Mysteries”. 

“Some podcasts with two or more people I also really like,” Brence said. “They have debates about the topic and I think that’s a great way to see multiple angles of the story. It makes the stories a touch more bright with the lively debates.” 

Although these cases are interesting to people, it should be remembered that these podcasts aren’t for everybody. Many podcasts include strong topics and mature or grotesque ideas.

“I would say to be careful on some of the cases and listen to trigger warnings because they get intense,” junior McKenna Alley said. “Some cases aren’t for the light hearted.” 

When choosing a podcast, everyone should be cautious in finding one that works best for them. It may  be discovered that they are quite entertaining.

“I strongly urge everyone to start listening to these murder podcasts because not only are they nerve-racking, but these murders help you be more aware of your surroundings in the real world,” Johnson said. “Unsolved mysteries tend to keep me up at night because I wonder if there’s a murderer outside my house, but others help me calm down and fall asleep.”