MOM, I MEAN MRS…

PHS students share their opinions on their parents being their own teacher

Taryn Feller

More stories from Taryn Feller

TRUE CRIME
May 26, 2022
Mr.+Brandon+Preator+teaches+his+Spanish+4+class+during+a+school+day.+Mr.+Preator+is+one+of+many+teachers+whose+children+are+PHS+students.+

Taryn Feller

Mr. Brandon Preator teaches his Spanish 4 class during a school day. Mr. Preator is one of many teachers whose children are PHS students.

For many kids, the thought of having a parent at their high school is a nightmare. However, for some it’s unavoidable. 

There are multiple benefits to having a parent as a teacher. Freshman Isabelle Lobingier finds many ways to take advantage of her science teacher mom Mrs. Lenita Moore’s classroom.

“It’s very helpful to have my mom working in the school because I can set my things in her room like my trumpet,” Lobingier said. “My friends also ask me a lot if they can keep stuff in her room, so it benefits them, too.”

Keeping their school supplies in their parent’s classroom isn’t the only way these students get help. Spanish teacher Mr. Brandon Preator also has children that gain help from his class.

“One major advantage I had with having my dad as a teacher was I was able to have a lot of help outside the class, [which] made getting work done so much easier,” junior Wesley Preator said. “I definitely got more help since he did so much to help me study.”

Extra help with studying is definitely seen as an advantage to these students, but it can also be seen as an opportunity to help work ethic and the chance to pursue more in the future.

“I don’t think I have had any extra privileges,” senior Abigail Urbach said. “If anything, my dad [Mr. Nathan Urbach] pushes me more than others because he wants me to prepare for college.”

If anything, my dad pushes me more than others because he wants me to prepare for college.

— Abigail Urbach

While having a parent as a teacher has multiple benefits, there are also downsides to this situation. 

“The only disadvantage was my dad would always be watching me if I were ever on my phone or talking,” Wesley said. “But overall I love having my dad as a teacher.”

Whether there are more advantages or more disadvantages, most of the students are happy to have their parents in the school building with them. Abigail Urbach happens to have both of her parents working in the school, and she appreciates having them there.

“My dad and mom have been amazing to have around during my high school career,” Urbach said. “Looking back now as a senior, it’s great to have all the memories and time I got to spend with them the last couple of years.”