THIS DEBATE IS WHEELY STUPID

Wheels and Doors face off in an epic battle for dominance

Amiya Love

More stories from Amiya Love

BAKING UP BUSINESS
May 12, 2022

More stories from Charlie Larsen

WHAT NOW?
May 26, 2022

Charlie Larson

A common debate between wheels and doors is taking over the internet, which side do you choose?

Team Wheels- Amiya Love, Prowl Reporter

A New Zealand rugby manager, Ryan Nixon, tweeted a controversial question: Are there more doors or wheels in the world? This question has made millions of people reflect on whether we live in a world with more doors or wheels.

Many PHS students have expressed their opinions on this argument with a relatively even split between the two sides. PHS senior Russel Baer strongly believes that there are more wheels.

“First of all, the internet confirms that there are more wheels than doors. There’s office chairs that have wheels, machinery, and cars,” Baer said.

Some argue that there are millions of locker doors in the world alone, yet Baer is convinced otherwise. 

“Yes, lockers do still count, but you have to remember the millions of office chairs and the ends of tables, trailers, and toys produced yearly,” Baer said. 

The internet has also made some opinions fluctuate and change minds. Sophomore Katie O’Brien was a strong believer that doors overpowered wheels, until she heard her peers’ ideas and points that made her convert to a prone wheels believer. 

“I truly felt that there were more doors than wheels, but then I looked at all the posts talking about the millions of conveyor belts in the world and then I started to believe that wheels was the answer,” O’Brien said. “I thought doors was the right answer to start with because of the billions of doors and cars in the world with multiple doors in them.” 

While some people’s opinions have altered because of their peers, sophomore Jon Hawley has conducted research to make his statement more reliable. 

“Even though there are tons of lockers, hot wheels make 519 million cars per year and each of those cars have an average of 4 wheels and most of the time, no doors, ” Hawley said. “This wide scale production massively outweighs locker door production.” 

Hawley stands by his opinion and doesn’t think that he can be convinced otherwise. He is a strong believer that wheels outnumber doors because of the research he has done on this topic. 

“I would tell a team doors person to give me any piece of modern technology with doors, and I can prove 9/10 times that there are more wheels than doors in the product,” Hawley said. “The wheel is a simple machine; it is simply used everywhere.”

Team Doors: Charlie Larsen, Prowl Reporter

The argument for doors, the other contender in this unusual argument, follows some slightly different guidelines than its much more straightforward counterpart. Doors can be interpreted in a few ways; an object that rests on hinges that swings open and closed, a walkway to enter another room, or an object that opens up to make something accessible like a room or a cabinet. 

Any one of the definitions work in favor of this argument, and it makes a point to showcase the versatility of this side. With cars, you could see that there is an average of up to six major doors per car, four doors that open up directly to seats, one for the trunk, and one for the hood of the car. 

“There’s definitely more doors on a regular car than there are wheels,” freshman Izzy Reed said. “There’s a few on the outside and maybe one or two extra on the inside.”

Another argument further expanding the door proposition claims that there are more buildings than cars in the world, ranging from a few dozen doors to a few hundred depending on the size of the building. It can vary from actual doorways to other rooms, to cabinets and closets and tiny little things that when you think about it, you can see it’s a door in some ways.

A slight discrepancy with this point however, is the use of wheels in these doors. For example, there are a few wheels in filing cabinets and sliding doors that help them open and close, which might skew the numbers slightly in favor of wheels being the superior object.

“There could definitely be a few sneaky wheels that are important in some doors,” senior Allie Gilbert said. “A sliding screen door or one of those rolling scissor-gate things that you see in some stores or malls, they could definitely be piggybacking off of doors.”