MAKING MEMORIES FOR PROM

PHS students discuss their thoughts on prom

Prom+royalty+lines+the+stage+as+they+are+awarded+with+the+designated+sashes+and+crowns.+

Nathan Feller

Prom royalty lines the stage as they are awarded with the designated sashes and crowns.

As high schoolers, there is a select series of events that we are told to enjoy, or more accurately, told to cherish because someday we are going to look back and want to remember every little detail.

From Friday night football games to participating in dress-up days, the options often appear endless. But for a vast majority of students, there is a certain night that always makes the top of the list. 

On Saturday April 30, juniors and seniors alike made those memories at the 2022 Masquerade Prom. After all of the excitement from spending time with friends and those special dates, some found themselves reflecting on the positives of the dance. 

“A positive memory would definitely be just being able to go with both my friends and my date,” junior Gracie Trotter said. “Just experiencing the night together and getting to laugh with my people made it fun.” 

A positive memory would definitely be just being able to go with both my friends and my date. Just experiencing the night together and getting to laugh with my people made it fun.

— Gracie Trotter

And for others, it appears that quality time with friends isn’t always the best part of the night; rather it’s the chance to get to hang out with the person you had as your date. 

“I think it is fun to go with a group for pictures beforehand,” senior Emerson Wormald said. “But staying with your date the rest of the night including the car, dance, and afterward is the way to go.” 

And speaking of spending time with that special someone, it seems that there was a lot to be said about the lack of slow songs or even country music at the dance this time around. Year after year, the most apprehension one has towards Prom is usually related to the DJ. 

“I thought the music was really bad,” sophomore Gracie Wolff said. “But some of the suggested songs were great until they had to be shut off.” 

Unfortunately, Wolff is not alone in her opinion of song quality at the dance. 

“In my opinion, I didn’t like the songs or music that was played,” junior Maddie Hedges said. “You can’t really dance to rap music and it isn’t something that should be played all night long.” 

Some were slightly more optimistic about the music, though still held some reservations about it. 

“The music was alright, but not my favorite,” Wormald said. “He [the DJ] played a few good songs, but the rest were either terrible songs or rap songs that I didn’t know. He could have added some T-Swift, Miley Cyrus, or even Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ to spice up the night.”

Although music tends to be a point of distaste at most dances, it is important not to let it ruin the rest of the evening, however disappointing it may be. 

“I did enjoy Prom, it was a new experience for me,” freshman Paul Cox said. “I do think that the DJ made some questionable choices in general, however that did not necessarily affect my enjoyment [of the dance].”