LIVING TO SERVE

Awards and new officer positions were announced at the annual FFA Banquet May 3

I just want everyone to find a home and through that our chapter can do that and my team can do that. 

More stories from Emma Brence

BACKWOODS BARBIES
December 21, 2023
+The+2022-2023+Powell-Shoshone+chapter+officers+stand+alongside+adviser+Mrs.+Shannon+Darrough+after+being+installed+at+the+annual+FFA+banquet+May+3.+

Emma Brence

The 2022-2023 Powell-Shoshone chapter officers stand alongside adviser Mrs. Shannon Darrough after being installed at the annual FFA banquet May 3.

Just like every sports team, the FFA chapter likes to look back on the year and celebrate the achievements and successes of the members and the chapter. Each year the Powell-Shoshone FFA chapter holds an end-of-the-year banquet. At this banquet the chapter gives out awards and letters to members who have both excelled and met the criteria.

The night began with dinner provided by the parent support group. As people finished their dinner, they enjoyed a slideshow presentation made by chapter historian, Shelby Carter. The slideshow consisted of photos and memories of the year.

“My favorite part of the banquet was seeing everyone, and I also loved the slideshow,” junior Katie Beavers said. “[The slideshow] brought back so many great memories from the year.” 

New honorary members were announced. An honorary member is a member of the community that dedicates their time and effort to the chapter. These members are not members of the chapter but are active members in the community. This year’s recipients were Adrienne Harvey, Andrea Mehling and Travis Mehling.

23 members received a letter at the banquet, to letter in FFA, members must attend 50% of the activities and participate in two community service projects. 

“My favorite part was getting to hand students awards,” advisor and agriculture teacher Mrs. Shannon Darrough said. “It is awesome to see everyone’s hard work pay off.”

Mrs. Darrough also presented the Star Greenhand award. The Star Greenhand award goes to a freshman member that has gone above and beyond the expectations. This year’s recipient was Katie Morrison.

During the Chapter Degree Ceremony, twelve members received their chapter degrees. In order to receive this degree, each member must have their greenhand degree, be enrolled in 180 hours of agricultural education, have an SAE project, demonstrate various leadership skills (leading group discussion) and have a satisfactory scholastic record. The Advisor also gives out an award to the sophomore who has gone above and beyond the requirements. This year’s Star Farmer was Brooke Bessler.

The whole chapter votes on Outstanding Junior and Senior unlike the Star Farmer and Greenhand award where Mrs. Darrough chooses the recipient. This year’s outstanding junior was Abby Wambeke and the outstanding senior was Madison Harvey.

“It was really nice to see these girls get outstanding junior and senior,” sophomore Aramonie Brinkerhoff said. “ They are great role models for our chapter and definitely deserved the award.”

Powell-Shoshone 2021-2022 Chapter president, Madison Harvey, shared a few words to the  officer team as well as the whole chapter.

“The banquet is an emotional experience, especially as a senior,” Harvey said. “But I am so thankful I got to share it with the chapter I love so much. I will remember this chapter and this final banquet for the rest of my life.”

Concluding the banquet, the 2022-2023 officer team was announced and installed. The 2022-2023 Powell-shoshone FFA Chapter team is sophomore Kathryn Brence as Parliamentarian, sophomore Baylee Brence as Sentinel, sophomore Emma Brence taking the position of Reporter, sophomore Wyatt Blackmore as Treasurer, sophomore Brooke Bessler as Secretary, sophomore Aramonie Breinkerhoff as 2nd Vice President, junior Abby Wambeke as Vice President, and junior Katie Beavers assuming the position as Chapter President. 

“I feel so honored that I got the president position,” Beavers said. “I would say that it boosted my confidence. I am so excited to work alongside the new officer team this coming year. I am excited to hear everyone’s ideas from the chapter and most importantly grow as a team and family.”

I feel so honored that I got the president position. I would say that it boosted my confidence. I am so excited to work alongside the new officer team this coming year. I am excited to hear everyone’s ideas from the chapter and most importantly grow as a team and family.

— Katie Beavers