BLACK FRIDAY BLOWOUT

Students and Staff at PHS share their insight on the biggest sale of the year… Black Friday
Online shopping has taken over department stores. If people do not have to leave the comfort of their couches, why would they? This aspect has wildly changed Black Friday from what it once was.
Katie Morrison

70% off! 50% off! How about a BOGO deal? Black Friday is one of the biggest sales of the year and one that draws in massive amounts of money. 

An interesting aspect of the sale, however, is how many high school students partake in the discounts. 

“Before Black Friday, I fill my cart with everything I like, because I don’t wanna just do it all on Black Friday,” junior Kendal Eden said. “Then when Black Friday comes, I actually purchase stuff.”

While Eden uses her strategy to purchase quality items online, others would rather strategize at brick and mortar stores. 

“Typically, weather permitting, I do try to get to either Billings or Cody at about six o’clock,” science teacher Mrs. Kaitlin Loeffen said. “By then I have already previewed the ads to know where there’s the best door busters.” 

Typically, weather permitting, I do try to get to either Billings or Cody at about six o’clock. By then I have already previewed the ads to know where there’s the best door busters.

— science teacher Mrs. Kaitlin Loeffen

While many avid shoppers enjoy the thrill of shopping in person, things over time have changed. Some enjoy trying on clothes, feeling the fabric in their hands, or even testing out their new vacuum in-store. On the other hand, some often refuse to leave their homes. 

“I prefer shopping online during Black Friday,” junior Kate Miller said. “The huge crowds on this day make me nervous.”

“Shopping centers were quieter this year, as the annual Black Friday sales seemed to already be in full effect weeks before the titular day,” Newspaper Vanguard said. “Numerous companies had launched their Black Friday sales nearly a whole month early, promoting ‘big savings all month long.’”

While this may be a large downside for businesses, it excites young adults. This encourages high school students to spend more money, and that they did! 

“This year during Black Friday I got great deals,” junior Denton Wainscott said. “I bought a pair of Yeezys and the new iPhone.”

This year during Black Friday I got great deals. I bought a pair of Yeezys and the new iPhone.

— junior Denton Wainscott

The main excitement for these students comes from the idea that they can buy their friends and family quality gifts for a lower rate. 

“I like to buy my friends gifts during Black Friday,” Miller said. “Typically, the deals are a lot cheaper, and I feel better about myself, rather than buy them something that costs tons of money.” 

Black Friday may sound like a big scary sale; however, if you need any expensive goods, this is the best time of the year to stock up. 

“Household items are always good,” Loeffen said. “Vaccums are usually pretty cheap… I pray my vacuum makes it to the next year because I am never willing to pay full price for one.” 

For most, the goal at the end of the day is to score the best deals and come home with many new prizes. 

“I just love to shop,” Miller said. “I am all about those deals, so I love Black Friday.”