ALL ABOUT THE BLING BA-BLING

PHS takes a deep dive into opinions of jewelry this Valentine’s Day
Jewelry is an exciting way to express yourself, as shown by students at PHS.
Katie Morrison

While dressing yourself in clothing is absolutely necessary for a normal life…some up the ante by adding some bling to improve their style. 

With Valentine’s Day approaching, marketing companies are covering many new brands of jewelry. Instead of dressing the body in bland items this Valentine’s, they believe you should dress in diamonds and jewels. 

According to Instore, “Valentine’s Day spending on jewelry will reach a record $6.4 billion this year….”

The question now, is what kind of jewelry should you get your valentine? 

Some are picky about the gifts they receive, they want them to be perfect. Many want genuine gold or silver instead of cheap and tacky pieces. Some don’t care as long as they are receiving a gift from their valentine. What is the preference? 

“ I am not picky,” sophomore Paige McConnell said. “I think that if I have a Valentine that wants to give me stuff that would be cool.” 

I am not picky, I think that if I have a Valentine that wants to give me stuff that would be cool.

— sophomore Paige McConnell

While your valentine may not care… the style of their jewelry should best fit their personality. 

“I feel like the people who are buying me jewelry usually know what I like,” junior Kinley Cooley said. “Often times people will get me things because they think ‘Oh I think this is something Kinley might like’”. 

What sort of pieces does your valentine enjoy? This is necessary in order to fit their wardrobe! 

“Rings are my very favorite… rings and earrings,” retired English teacher Mrs. Nancy O’Neill said. “I always used to go for gold, but now I sort of tend to lean towards white metals or silver.” 

Those who are fashionable are willing to mix up their metal preferences, while some are very determined about their desired metal.

“I like silver,” Cooley said. “It’s very simple and dainty.” 

While choosing your Valentine the perfect piece, it can get pricey. 

“One thing to keep in mind when choosing jewelry is that gold is much more expensive than silver,” Simone Walsh Jewellery said. “Gold is a more valuable precious metal.”

One thing to keep in mind when choosing jewelry is that gold is much more expensive than silver. Gold is a more valuable precious metal.

— Simone Walsh Jewellery

While it can get very expensive, there are some out there that are willing to reason with their spending. 

“Oh, gold is definitely much more expensive than silver,” Mrs. O’Neill said. “And I’d say for an impulse buy, I am definitely looking for cheaper.”

With Valentine’s Day approaching, jewelry is always a very popular item.   

“I love jewelry,” O’Neill said. “I have loved it ever since I was a little girl. So with that, I take it as it comes, it doesn’t matter to me.”