Categories:

Q/A: WINGING IT

PHS artist Sophia Petrie explains her accolades garnered from the Federal Duck Stamp Competition
The hooded merganser was Petrie’s choice of duck. She favored its fluffy feathers and atypical features.
Sophia Petrie

Sophia Petrie is a junior at PHS who has developed a knack for a niche skill; drawing ducks. Her ability to draw these waterfowls directly stems from a contest that every Powell art student participates in. The Federal Duck Stamp Contest requires participants to draw and paint a duck, choosing from the list of accepted species set each year. More information about the Duck Stamp Competition can be found here.

Petrie has done extremely well in the competition, placing first her freshman year, third her sophomore year, and first again her junior year. Additionally, she placed fourteenth overall in the nation for her freshman year painting.

Q: How did you get involved with the Duck Stamp Competition?

A: “I got involved through art class. Mr. Gilman was really encouraging about it, especially after I won my freshman year,” Petrie said. “He kept pushing me to finish my duck stamp and really put in the best work.”

Q:How do you diversify yourself from other competitors?

A: “I would look at other winners from other states and look at what components were used,” Petrie said. “Part of what I use to diversify specifically from Powell High School is the water and the actual scenery that the duck is on instead of just the duck floating in the water. I like having background scenery and stuff like that.”

Q: What type of ducks do you enjoy drawing?

A:  “I usually try to pick ducks that not everyone else is doing,” Petrie said. “This year I picked a hooded merganser, and I really liked the fluffy hair out on the top. I enjoyed painting that because it had a lot more texture than most other birds.”

Q: How is the competition set up/organized?

A: “From the high school, Gilman gives us papers that we have to fill out,” Petrie said. “We have to put down the sources that we use, what age category we are, what type of duck we are painting and stuff like that.”

Q: What is your game plan for next year’s competition?

A: “I’ll probably just end up winging it,” Petrie said. “I will once again look at previous national winners and kind of base it off of that.” 

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

A: “Powell is one of the only towns that participates in this competition, and I think that that is mainly because of how encouraging Gilman is to us,” Petrie said. “I don’t entirely know his reasoning, but I’m appreciative that he has all the students enter stamps because it allows kids that are serious about art to get a feel for competitions and have actual judges examine their pieces.”