THIS BLONDE HAS MORE FUN

Whitney Jones

More stories from Whitney Jones

(From left to right) Junior Whitney Hull and sophomore Rylee White pose for a picture.

How did the blonde die while raking leaves? 

She fell out of the tree.

At Powell High School, we have many blonde-haired students who attend school every day. And being one of them, and a girl at that, I’ve noticed we often are regarded as less intelligent than our fellow dark-haired students.

Being a natural blonde my whole life, I have heard all of the “blonde jokes” in the book. Sure they are quite funny, but for once I’d like to be seen as more than just a “dumb blonde.”

People tend to assume that others with blonde hair, women in particular, are less serious, empty-minded and straight up dumb. Simply because of a hair color? Well, you know what they say about people who assume. 

“I love being blonde. It’s quite frequently said that blondes have more fun.”

— Whitney Jones

Now there is reason to believe blondes are, well, dumb. Many blondes just act less intelligent because they think it’s cute. Well, let me tell you. It’s not, it’s not cute at all. It’s blondes like them that ruin it for the smart, “just trying to make it in the world” blondes like me. 

Throughout history, blonde hair has been considered desirable and attractive, especially when paired with blue eyes. European and television culture has exploited this majorly. So now comes the age-long question: Why are blondes perceived as dumb? 

According to geriwalton.com, it started in 1775 with Rosalie Duthé, the first officially recorded “dumb blonde.” She was often known to pause for an unusually long time before speaking, which gave blondes all over the world a bad reputation. Many women also feel that their blonde hair is an asset, so they have a less pressing incentive to pursue a future. So on behalf of blondes everywhere, I would like to give a big fat thank you to Rosalie Duthé, in the most sarcastic way possible.

Despite this, I love being blonde. It’s quite frequently said that blondes have more fun. Well, what can I say? I can never turn down a good time. Plus, I will age as gracefully as a swan, because gray hair, virtually nonexistent on a blonde head.

So, while all you “smart” brunettes are getting your roots touched up or dyed, I will be living my best life with naturally golden hair. To top it all off, blonde hair matches everything. Black? Perfect. White? Flawless. Neon yellow? Even better. 

Quite honestly, once you get past the blonde jokes, and the “wait, aren’t you supposed to be stupid” moments, living the blonde life isn’t too shabby. Do I wish that I wouldn’t be perceived as dumb everywhere I go? Yes, but I’m not so sure that stereotype is going to change anytime soon.