BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS

An inside look on how Big Brothers Big Sisters operates in Park County School District #1

Big+Sister%2C+Kennedee+Nelson%2C+spends+time+with+her+Little+Sister%2C+Ima%2C+at+Westside+Elementary+school.%0A+

Photo Courtesy of Kennedee Nelson

Big Sister, Kennedee Nelson, spends time with her Little Sister, Ima, at Westside Elementary school.

There are many struggles that play into a child’s time that they spend at school. Whether it be social skills or just fitting in. 

Luckily, there is a program to help these problems. Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) is an agency to help youth. A mentor is equipped to help steer these children through school and to aid them in any way they can. 

The process of this agency starts with the enrollment of a mentor. Once that process is completed, a mentor is chosen or assigned to a mentee. The mentors and kids are matched with similar interests involving hobbies, activities and personalities. This program impacts the kids positively, increasing their overall experience in school. 

“I believe the mentoring program is effective,” director of Big Brother Big Sisters in Wyoming Jenifer Just said. “Some of its effectiveness may seem simplistic, but it actually has a powerful impact. For example, one of the Littles in the program talked to me about how his Big listens. To this kid, someone who truly listens to him has a huge impact.” 

The mentors or “Bigs” help these kids with their conversation and social skills. They develop a great friendship with these mentees or “littles”. 

“[My little] was, at first, really shy,”  junior Baylee Brence said. “We’ve been working with her and she has been learning how to start conversations and get some more friends because she was really lonely. I’ve seen her reaching out with other kids now and the more I go out to recess with her she’s always with a big group of kids.” 

We’ve been working with her and she has been learning how to start conversations and get some more friends because she was really lonely. I’ve seen her reaching out with other kids now and the more I go out to recess with her she’s always with a big group of kids.

— Baylee Brence

Not only does this program leave a great influence on the kids, the mentors receive a positive effect as well; whether it be through learning how to effectively help a kid or increasing professional skills. 

“BBBS has taught me to become more independent,” sophomore Kendal Eden said. “The process of getting interviewed taught me good public speaking skills. It has also given me knowledge of how to handle certain situations and how to validate a kid’s emotions.” 

Students’ motivation differs in regards to their involvement in this program. There are many reasons to be involved and many things that they can achieve from BBBS.

“Students who volunteer their time to mentor are motivated for different reasons,” Just said.  “Some love being around kids and finding time with a kid is a nice break from the stresses of school. For these high school mentors, their time with a kid gives them joy.” 

Some students believe that BBBS is a great way to increase the mentee’s communication skills as well as making them feel safe and appreciated at school. 

“I feel like BBBS is a great thing for everyone involved,” Eden said. “It teaches kids how to interact in a positive way and how to communicate their needs and feel safe and loved around other people.” 

Many attributes contribute to a good mentor. Understanding and truly valuing the kid that the mentors are caring for makes an incredible impact on their life. 

“I have seen shy kids open up more and initiate more conversations and interactions,” Just said. “When a reserved child is excited to see me and gives me a hug, I know I’m doing my job by creating a welcoming, supportive environment where kids feel comfortable, valued and cared about.”