BRING IT HOME

Student Council Releases 2023 Homecoming Preview
Adorned in a Hawaiian outfit, now junior Paul Cox prepared to make a serve for his Buff Puff team in 2022 of the annual PHS Homecoming Week.
Emma Johnson
Student Council Junior Class Representative Caitlin Belmont works diligently on the balloon decorations the day before Homecoming Week.
What To Expect

A definitive week in the high school experience, the annual Homecoming celebration. Spanning over Sept. 18-22, the PHS Student Council intends to deliver six days of familiar and revamped events for all students, which is conveyed in this preview. 

Student Council Junior Class Representative Caitlin Belmont works diligently on the balloon decorations the day before Homecoming Week. (Emma Johnson)
PHS Senior Dalton Worstell makes eye contact on Night 1 of Homecoming Week at the annually hosted game of Buff Puff.
Monday 9/18 – Dress As Your Grade

Monday 9/18 – Dress As Your Grade

Buff Puff @ Homesteader 7PM 

Taking place at Homesteader Park, student council executive board representatives seniors Keegan Hicswa and Seeger Wormald organized Buff Puff, this year opening the doors to co-ed teams, instead of the traditional boy players and girl cheerleaders. The forms are due in the office by Thursday, 9/14 so make sure to assemble the team for this night of volleyball under the park lights. 

PHS Senior Dalton Worstell makes eye contact on Night 1 of Homecoming Week at the annually hosted game of Buff Puff. (Emma Johnson)
Senior Co-Presidents Jimmy Dees and Emma Johnson display their Panther Pride for Country VS Country club dressup day.
Tuesday 9/19 – Country vs. Country Club *Hat Day*

Movie Night Tangled @ Behind Panther Stadium 8PM

After selection among the student body, the general consensus was that the desired movie to watch was the Disney classic Tangled. Following the plot of a young girl Rapunzel with magical hair attempting to find out what is so special about the lights that appear every year on her birthday, this 1 hour and 40-minute film takes the watchers on a journey as Rapunzel finds new friends and a potential love interest along the way of discovering the lights. 

Senior Co-Presidents Jimmy Dees and Emma Johnson display their Panther Pride for Country VS Country club dressup day. (Salem Brown)
After the volleyball game, the painted-up students smile for a picture. Photo courtesy of Anna Smith.
Wednesday 9/20 – Wednesdays We Wear Pink/Barbie & Ken Day 

Cornhole Tournament @Homesteader Bighorn Softball Field 7PM

Since the Parent Group opted to move the annual Homecoming Olympics a week prior due to the wanting to allow the largest amount of students to participate, the Homecoming Week looks a little different for Wednesday night. Involving singles and doubles competitors, the cornhole tournament and ice cream social will be the first of its kind. Despite its inaugural debut, the turnout is anticipated to be just as great compared to last year’s Olympics. 

After the volleyball game, the painted-up students smile for a picture. Photo courtesy of Anna Smith. (Anna Smith)
The Lady Panther volleyball team sets up the ball to lead them to a historic win against rival team, the Cody Fillies back in October.
Thursday 9/21 – BBQ Dads vs. Soccer Moms *Hat Day*

Tailgate & Volleyball Games VS Cody @PHS Gym 4PM, 5 PM, 6PM

For the second home game of the season, the Lady Panthers freshman, JV, and varsity teams face off against rival Cody Fillies. A tailgate will be provided for the game in the side entrance of the school, where there will be hotdogs, chips, and drinks.

The Lady Panther volleyball team sets up the ball to lead them to a historic win against rival team, the Cody Fillies back in October. (Emma Johnson)
Having the right outfit can make all the difference in dictating having the right mentality for Game Day according to some students.
Friday 9/22 – Panther Pride: Orange & Black 

Parade at 1:15

Football Game VS Green River @PHS 6PM

One of the most eventful days, Friday is comprised of the pep rally from cheerleaders, an assembly put on by the Student Council, and the local parade of elementary, middle, and high schoolers. With the concept of Family Feud, teachers and students will go against each other for the title of the winner in front of the entire school. Additionally, after the assembly and the rest of the school day, the Homecoming Parade will take place in downtown Powell at 1:15 where sports teams, clubs, and activities will represent themselves, as well as the voted Royalty of PHS. And finally, there will be the football game at 6 PM against the Green River Wolves, where the Student Section will be filled with ‘Panther Pride Orange & Black’. 

Having the right outfit can make all the difference in dictating having the right mentality for Game Day according to some students. (Audrey Johnson)
Students dress up in various costumes to participate in Homecoming activities, ranging from Homecoming Olympics sponsored by the parent group or Buff Puff, as pictured above.
Saturday 9/23

Saturday 9/23

Homecoming Semi-Formal Dance “At Last I See The Light” @PHS Commons (8-11 PM)

New to this year, the dance will be a semi-formal occasion for exclusively Powell High School students, and the theme goes hand in hand with the Tangled movie. Hoping to provide a different opportunity for pupils, Student Council members and advisors anticipate that the formal dance will be one to remember, especially when compared to years past informal dances, or lack thereof due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Video To Homecoming Dance

Attendees of the inaugural 2023 Homecoming Dance dance and jump to the songs played at PHS. (Jimmy Dees)
Students dress up in various costumes to participate in Homecoming activities, ranging from Homecoming Olympics sponsored by the parent group or Buff Puff, as pictured above. (Sophie Czirr)