The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 30TOMORROW: Late start for 9th, 11th, & 12ths graders @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for sophomores)
  • April 29Young Authors' Club Awards Ceremony @Powell Middle School - 5:30 PM
  • April 29National Honor Society Induction Ceremony @PHS Auditorium - 7:30 PM
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

HEART MOUNTAIN HAS PEAKED

The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center is designated a Smithsonian Affiliate.
Greg+Wise+gives+a+beautiful+angle+of+the+Interpretive+Center+at+night.+
Greg Wise
Greg Wise gives a beautiful angle of the Interpretive Center at night.

A noteworthy landmark full of importance to so many citizens of Wyoming recently received an incredible honor. The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center has recently been designated a Smithsonian Institute affiliated with the museum. The collaboration with the Smithsonian and Interpretive Center will bring new opportunities to Park County residents and tourists alike. 

Marla Barngrover, a previous employee at Powell High School, still has a current connection with the Interpretive Center, having worked there for six years. 

The recent honor as a Smithsonian Affiliate means they were chosen from many applicants. It’s an honor, and this means we will have access to their many resources, and they will have access to ours. This will give the Center more exposure.”

— Marla Barngrover

Heart Mountain becoming a Smithsonian Affiliate is significant to teachers who take their students to visit the Interpretive Center regularly as they learn about the involuntary relocation and confinement of Japanese Americans during World War ll. History teacher Mr. Nick Fulton in previous years has taken his students to tour the Heart Mountain Interpretive Center. 

“I grew up in Powell, and my uncle farmed land that bordered the Interpretive Center before it opened as a Museum,” Mr. Fulton said. “This allowed me knowledge of the center before taking students to tour.” 

Barngrover shared her appreciation for Powell High School’s teachers for allowing their students to expand their knowledge by touring the museum. 

“There is not much in the history books about this part of history that happened during WW2,” Mrs. Barngrover said. “I appreciate all that Mrs. [Tracy] McArthur and Mr. Fulton teach students every year about the camp, and bring students to the museum.” 

Students affiliated with Heart Mountain are cognizant of the recent honor and grateful it’s received such a recognition. 

“I’ve grown up by Heart Mountain my whole life,” junior Danika Fagan said. “Heart Mountain is very important to me and my family. I’m really happy that it’s getting such an honorable recognition.”

Members of the Powell community are hopeful that the recent designation will increase the attendance of tourists. 

“I am proud of this honor for the museum and the exposure it will have to tell the story of the camp and the history in our area,” Mrs. Barngrover said. “This will bring more visitors to Park County, and that helps our economy.” 

By the Interpretive Center being designated a Smithsonian institute affiliated with the museum, it becomes the second Wyoming museum to be given such recognition. 

“I am not fully aware of changes that will be made with the addition of a Smithsonian affiliate to the Interpretive Center, but I do know that is quite an honor,” Mr. Fulton said. “Heart Mountain joins the Buffalo Bill Historical Center as the second Smithsonian affiliate in the state.”