EDITORIAL: Drug use a growing problem

In a Child Development class at Powell High School recently, Officer Jason Pellegrino discussed the alarming growth of drug use in our community. He talked about students in our community who spend time in the emergency room as a result of drug use.

It’s not just the occasional cigarette anymore, it’s the harmful substance that destroys your ability to function. These are the substances that can ruin a person’s life. Officer Pellegrino challenged us to make a positive difference, so the staff of The Prowl decided to take part.

The following are individual opinions expressed by Prowl staffers:

I’m not gonna tell you not to do drugs. But I am gonna say that you dang sure better be prepared for the consequences of doing them. Alina O’Leary, Junior

By doing drugs, not only can you possibly damage your reputation around the community, but it could affect your family, place of employment, and friends. Kenadee Bott, Junior

Instead of doing drugs, you can go fishing!!

Bailey Kennedy, sophomore

There are much better things to do than waste your time and money on paraphernalia.

Ciara Payne, Junior

There have been too many people die of drugs too early. Marie Ramier, Sophomore

Drugs and partying have unfortunately become a norm in Powell. This does not change the effects and dangers of this way of life and they are definitely something to beware of during your high school career. Braden Schiller, Senior

There is no excuse to throw your whole life away because you want a few hours or even a day of feeling free. Kayla Kolpitcke, Sophomore

As much as we hear that “we are the company we keep,” most don’t take it to heart. It’s important to surround yourself with positive influences. Drugs have become the new norm for kids these days. Try to surround yourself with positive influences that will lead you in the right direction. Lauren Lejeune, Sophomore.

Don’t do cocaine. Cocaine ruins your brain. Bryce Hogen, sophomore

I don’t think doing drugs is worth the lifetime of consequences that can stem from them. Kara Borcher, Junior

Being caught doing drugs will make getting a job much harder because employers will look at your personal record to see what kind of person you are. Colin Queen, Sophomore

We are given so many opportunities in our day and age. Why waste them away on partaking in drugs? Go do something worthwhile. Hailee Paul, Sophomore

“This life is what you make it”- Marilyn Monroe.

If you want to decide to put those nasty chemicals into your body that is your choice, but don’t expect positive or fulfilling consequences and feelings. Go out and fish or ride a bike or find natural highs. Try to make a positive difference in your life and in the people you impact. Natalie Dillivan, Sophomore

The effects from drugs aren’t appealing and the consequences aren’t worth it. Scarlette Mendoza, Sophomore