SNOWCOMING 2018

Sportsmanship, painted stomachs and school spirit abound

Photo Courtesy of Greg Wise

The student section came out in full force for Friday’s basketball games against Riverton.

Snowcoming Friday started with a pep assembly focused on sportsmanship. The Jan. 19 event in the Powell High School auditorium was hosted  by the Letterman Club officers who spoke about good sportsmanship and the ways our school can improve upon it.

“What you say at games and in front of other people represents not only you but also your entire school,” said senior Letterman Club member James Sheets. “We want to put our best foot forward.”

The officers introduced Fan-Of-The-Game. This award is handed out to someone who demonstrates exceptional school spirit, providing them one free item at concessions. After discussing school spirit, Activities Director Mr. Tim Wormald showed two videos to further drive home the idea of sportsmanship.

Students and staff rose to their feet as the PHS cheerleaders taught the crowd their new cheer, “Do It.” The pep band played as everyone filed out of the auditorium.

“It’s cool to see so many of the students get involved with the cheer,” junior cheerleader  Gracie McLain said. “It really shows their school spirit.”

The freshman basketball teams kept the spirit level up with games at 3 p.m., followed by the JV boys and girls and finally the varsity. A revved up student section, which included several seniors who painted their stomachs to spell out “GO PANTHERS,” helped the Lady Panthers beat Lander, while the boys lost a close one in overtime.

The festive Friday concluded with a dance.