Student of the month: A.J. Lewis

More stories from Hailee Paul

Powell High School has once again had their student of the month nominations and for the month of December A.J. Lewis received this award.

Each month a new student is selected from the nominees picked by the teachers. Only nine students were nominated from the junior and senior class.

Lewis is a PHS senior. He participates in many extracurricular activities. He plays football in the fall, trains with indoor track in the winter, then competes in outdoor track in the spring. He is also in Letterman Club and National Honor Society.

“His personality has always been pretty bubbly, friendly and happy. He keeps plugging away, and over four years he’s just built up a really good knowledge base,” teacher and coach Mr. Scott Smith said. “He’s doing a really good job as a student. He’s always doing what he’s asked to do, maybe a little bit more.”

Added senior Maddy Hanks:  “He has always been very positive and very hard working in his school work and in his athletics.”

Lewis was also recently nominated for the Wyoming Chapter, National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete scholarship.

This is another great honor for him. This award is based 40 percent on football ability, 40 percent academic achievement and 20 percent community service. To qualify for this scholarship the athlete must have a grade point average of 3.0 or better.

He is the only football player from Powell High School to receive this nomination.

“I felt honored to be recognized for what I’ve done for the school and the community,” Lewis said. “I’ve gotten compliments from people around the community and I think it’s a great that the school awards students who do these types of activities.”