Fall sports seniors bid their seasons farewell

More stories from Devon Curtis

AW SNAP!
May 9, 2019

Courtesy: Greg Wise

Senior Panther football players walk onto the field for the coin toss before their final game on Oct. 19.

At the home football game against Jackson Hole on Friday Oct. 19, seniors from the football, cheerleading, tennis and golf teams will be recognized for their participation in Powell High School sports during their high school careers.

The seniors being recognized for their participation on the Panther football team were Kaelan Groves, Dalton Woodward, Carson Heinen, Trent Dicks, Sawyer Mauthe, Colton Johansen, Carter Olsen, Kanyon Gann and Duy Hoang.

“I’ll miss all of the friendships I’ve made over the last four years,” said Heinen. “I’ve met some very influential people during that time, and they are all people I look up to and strive to be like.”

The football game began directly after the senior recognition, and the Panthers started on the wrong foot, with Jackson running in two touchdowns in the first quarter. The first touchdown of the game by the Panthers was made by junior quarterback Ethan Asher.

I’m going to miss the competition, suiting up in pads and just going out and leaving everything you have on the field.

— PHS senior Kaelen Groves

At halftime all of the senior athletes for tennis, golf and cheerleading were recognized for their participation in PHS sports throughout their high school careers.

The seniors recognized for the tennis team were Sierra Sanders, Austin Chandler, Aidan Hunt, Shayla Shoopman and Takota Hammond.

The golf team had one senior recognized and that was Rob Sessions.

The Cheerleading team had six seniors being recognized: Makenna Buck, Alyssa Gould, Mackenzie Thompson, Gracie McLain, Gabri Lundberg and Sarah Rodriquez.

After all of the halftime senior festivities, the football game resumed.

In the second half, the Jackson Broncs scored two more times, with the Panthers only scoring one more time off of a pick six from senior wide receiver/corner back Colton Johansen. This was considered the “highlight of the season” by some of the Panther players.

The Panthers couldn’t seem to catch up in the second half of the game and fell to the Broncs 34-14.

The Panthers ended their season with an overall record of 1-7, falling short of the playoffs.

“I’m going to miss the competition, suiting up in pads and just going out and leaving everything you have on the field,” Groves said on what he will miss about high school football. “It’s just a great atmosphere, under the field lights every Friday night.”

Lady Panthers take on Bulldogs at senior night