VESPERS: It’s about community coming together

Courtesy: John Miller

Northwest College and Powell High School choirs team up to sing Christmas carols at Vespers on Dec. 5 at First United Methodist Church.

O come, all ye faithful. Joyful and triumphant.

The Powell community came together the evening of Dec. 5 at the First United Methodist Church for the annual Vespers concert.

“It brings our community together from all denominations and backgrounds for an enjoyable evening of music,” Powell High School Concert Choir Director Mr. John Miller said. “People just enjoy hearing good Christmas music even if the title is new to them. The candlelight setting just puts one in the holiday spirit.”

The evening started with a welcome from the Rev. Melinda Penry, the minister of the church. Then, as the choirs warmed up, the PHS Concert Choirs’ presidents, Elise North and Kjelden George, lit the candles down the aisle.

“Our choir has made so much progress since a few months ago,” North said. “On top of sounding awesome, everyone tries to make our music better and won’t hesitate to give or take advice. I’m so glad these are the people I get to finish up my high school years with.”

This has been a tradition in the community several years.

Our choir has made so much progress since a few months ago.

— PHS senior Elise North

“The Powell High School Concert Choir first performed Vespers with the NWC Choir December 1994,” Mr. Miller said. “Jan Kliewer was the director at NWC and Vespers was his vision. I was excited to be ask to join in this collaboration with the NWC Choir.”

People who were part of the choir came to hear the new sounds.

“It also is important to the alumni of the choir,” Mr. Miller. “Many former choir members come back to participate as an audience member.  It brings back wonderful memories of high school.”

Weeks of dedication and work go into this event from everyone involved.

“It takes about 5-6 weeks of practice to get the music at performance level,” Mr. Miller said. “The preparation is not only the music. The performance date is scheduled with the school calendar and the First United Methodist Church.

“The church likes to have their Christmas decorations up. Lighting equipment, sound equipment, chairs, pianos, etc, must be moved and transported back to the school. We are fortunate to have a lot of help form choir members and church members to get all this done.”

Come ye, O come ye, to Bethlehem.