WORDS TO LIVE BY

Freshmen FFA members recite the FFA creed.

More stories from Gracie McLain

Bryce Meyer

(From left) Sarah Hampton, Whitney Jones and Madi Harvey pose for a picture at district speech in Cody.

For many high school students getting up in front of an audience and speaking is one of the most terrifying experiences ever. All eyes are on you. Everyone is listening to you and to you alone.

For some FFA members speaking in front of people is as easy as a walk in the park.

New members of the Powell-Shoshone FFA Chapter including Whitney Jones, Sarah Hampton and Maddison Harvey competed in two speaking contests in the past few weeks.

The particular event they competed it was creed speaking. In this competition members are required to recite the FFA creed. The FFA creed expresses E.M Tiffany’s beliefs in the industry of Agriculture and the core values of citizenship and patriotism. It is also used to inspire members across the country. After the members recite the creed a panel of judges questions them about the information within it.

“It was a great learning experience! I really enjoyed meeting new people and stepping outside my comfort zone,” Jones said. “Public speaking isn’t as scary as it seems, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.”

Agriculture teacher Mr. Bryce Meyer the spends time with the freshmen teaching the FFA creed and the ins and outs of it. The three freshmen wanted to continue with this after Mr. Meyer finished the unit.

Jones was the only girl out of the three to place at the district and regional contests. She placed second at the district contest and fourth at the regional contest.