MOVING UP IN THE WORLD

Mr. Steven Lensegrav will become the new Assistant Principal at PHS at the start of the 2019-20 school year.

More stories from Mia Baxter

PHS+chemistry+and+physics+teacher+Mr.+Steven+Lensegrav+is+set+to+take+over+the+Vice+Principal+position+for+the+2019-20+school+year.+

Jasmyne Lensegrav

PHS chemistry and physics teacher Mr. Steven Lensegrav is set to take over the Vice Principal position for the 2019-20 school year.

The current Powell High School chemistry teacher, Mr. Steven Lensegrav will become the new Assistant Principal, effective at the start of the 2019-20 school year.

Mr. Lensegrav will take over for Mr. Tim Wormald, the current Assistant Principal/Activities Director, who will be taking over as principal for Mr. Jim Kuhn. And current Instructional Facilitator/Dean of Students Mr. Scott McKenzie will assume athletic/activities director duties.

“I was pretty pleased with the candidate pool,” Mr. Wormald said. “Mr. Lensegrav showed himself to be a really good fit at Powell High School and a good fit for what we were looking for; he stood out among the crowd there, and did a really good job [interviewing].”

Mr. Lensegrav earned his administration degree in 2010 but continued to teach for nine more years at the high school level.

“The last few years I’ve been looking to move forward and become a principal,” Mr. Lensegrav said. “This opportunity came up and I was fortunate enough to get it.”

The interviewees were asked multiple questions in a span of an 1.5-2.0 hours. The interview questions included visions for the school, how to engage students and what the job would entail.

“Primarily Mr. Lensegrav will be in charge of discipline and attendance,” Mr. Wormald said. “He will also have the dual role of being the SLC [Shoshone Learning Center] principal next year.”

Mr. Wormald and Mr. Lensegrav found that an administrator in this position must possess certain qualities to excel.

“I think you have to be very fair and be an advocate for kids,” said Mr. Lensegrav. “We are here for you… and the best thing we can do is make sure the school is running smoothly.”

Added Mr. Wormald: “You have to like working with kids; you have to be a good communicator and you have to be firm but fair,” said Mr. Wormald. “You have to understand grey areas with any decisions and rely on what you think is going to be best in that situation.”

Mr. Lensegrav said he is excited for the change.

“I am extremely blessed to have the position and I cannot wait for next year,” Mr. Lensegrav said.