THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

The 2019 fall play The Night of the Living Dead will be performed by PHS theater students Nov. 1-2

Emerson Wormald

More stories from Emerson Wormald

The+2019+fall+play+The+Night+of+the+Living+Dea+will+be+preformed+Nov.+1-2+in+the+high+school+auditorium.+

Poster design: Nicolas Fulton

The 2019 fall play The Night of the Living Dea will be preformed Nov. 1-2 in the high school auditorium.

The humid air is thick as dusk arrives. The street lamps flicker on.

Once shining brightly, the lights fade to black, leaving only the rays from the moon to cast a shadow on the night’s arising horror.

Run. Scream. Bolt the door. They are right behind you. And they are hungry.

The dead … but they are alive. The zombies are in need of human flesh.

Cut!…again—from the top.

The Night of the Living Dead written by Lori Allen Ohm, is the horror production Powell High School theatre students will be performing Friday-Saturday, Nov. 1-2.

This production is about a zombie apocalypse and follows a group of strangers hidden in a house together trying to survive. A “double cast” will perform the classic horror story.

“The best part about acting as a whole is the development of the character you’re playing,” said senior Ashlyn Aguirre, who is cast as Judy. “I enjoy building a story together as a cast and improving one’s skills as an individual. It’s fun to live another life as a character for a few short months.”

Developing a persona other than yourself has excitement and fascination. Building several characters as a whole means something much more. Furthermore, the community always has a sense of awe watching PHS students performing on stage.

As a community, cast and individual, these productions assembled by Powell High School have influenced Powell.

“The rehearsals build a sense of team-just like sports practices, and the shows build a sense of community-just like when fans come together for their teams during a game,” Director Mr. Robert Hunt said. “It is a unique and cathartic experience for performers and audience members. Uniquely, theatre can help actors and audience members develop the ability to empathize with others and consider different points of view.”

Putting a play together builds relationships between peers.

“The best thing about directing a play is when it all comes together during the performance and all of the hard work pays off,” Director Hunt said. “The technical elements fall into sync, the actors rise to the challenge, and the audience members immerse themselves in the show. There is always a prediction about how the audience will react, and it is rewarding when the audience reacts positively to the show.”

The best thing about directing a play is when it all comes together during the performance and all of the hard work pays off.

— Mr. Bob Hunt

Despite the positive reactions, overwhelming support and memorable experiences there sometimes can be stress involved with these productions.

“Time is almost always the most precious factor of a production,” Aguirre said. “Making sure that as a cast, everyone is ready by the time the show comes along.”

Twenty-three year director Mr. Hunt agreed.

“The most stressful part of play directing is when things are not working out and the production date is looming,” Mr. Hunt said. “ It is up to the director to solve any problems with the show even if the problems are completely outside of the director’s control.”

High school plays take anywhere from six to eight weeks. Six weeks for a regular play, like the upcoming performance, and eight weeks for a musical. The PHS musical will be performed in February 2020.

“I would totally recommend that anyone who is interested try out for musicals and plays,” Aguirre said. “The process is so much fun and the people involved make every production memorable. Also, the best way to find a new passion is hop in and try it.”