ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE

Increased family time, break from stress allow busy students, athletes chance to enjoy life

Emerson Wormald

More stories from Emerson Wormald

Photos by Scott Schiller

While on a hike, the Schiller family explores the archaeological site near Hyattville.

The world as we know it basically has come to a complete stop. It’s what some are calling the coronavirus “apocalypse.”

While the world may never know a zombie apocalypse, this is an apparent alternative. People are stocking up, isolating themselves and taking drastic measures. The stock market report reads more like an EKG. And just about everything has been canceled. Questions remain unanswered about a potential vaccine, and it seems only mandatory social distancing is controlling the spread.

School is out and activities canceled until at least April 17, and  “not knowing” is causing people to worry and stress behind closed doors. To put it more simply, life has come to a pause. We do not know when life will begin again, but for now, life is taking a break.

So how could any good come from an international crisis?

Sophomore Riley Schiller and his mom Kelli Schiller pose while hiking at Medicine Lodge State Archaeological Site.

With sports, other extra-curricular activities and homework, students can become extremely busy. They immerse themselves in a world of stress and pressure with no time to slow down. But the coronavirus outbreak has allowed some students to take a mental break and implement other activities into their lives that they would not have been able to do during their busy schedules.

“I get to go camping and riding more with my family,” said junior Madi Fields, a multi-sport athlete. “I get to spend more time in the mountains.

“It is kind of nice having a break from all the sports because it lets me focus on other activities and other hobbies I enjoy doing. Lately, I have been learning to ride a dirt bike and I really enjoy that. I love hiking and camping; this gives me a better opportunity to do those activities.”

It is kind of nice having a break from all the sports because it lets me focus on other activities and other hobbies I enjoy doing.

— Madi Fields, PHS junior

Others have been spending time outdoors as well as having a little down time and enjoying something they don’t usually get to enjoy: relaxation.

“[My family] has been able to fish, play games, watch movies most days instead of homework,” sophomore Riley Schiller said. “I have been able to enjoy the time to draw, watch TV and just rest.”

The extra time passed with family, with no school-related stress or strain, has been a nice breather in some households.

“I loved spending [extra] spring break with my family,” sophomore Sarah Dunkerley said. “I’ve been trying to utilize my time well by drawing, exercising and watching movies with my family.”

Even though some families are told to stay home, other families are not as fortunate to be spending time together. During this frenzied crisis, parents may still have to work to support their family and community. The Morris parents have had to work through this time; however, this gives the Morris students time to spend time with extended family.

“I have been hanging out with my grandpa a lot since my dad and mom are still working,” sophomore Garrett Morris said. “Every day I still practice soccer, but besides that, I just hang out with my grandpa and my sister [Sierra].”

Morris is taking advantage of this break to hone his soccer skills, even though he likely won’t be able to perform them this spring sport season.

Because of the additional break, thanks to the coronavirus, several families are feeling closer than ever because of the time spent together.

“Yes, I would say that [my family feels closer] since with sports and homework there is not a lot of [family] time,” Schiller said.

When students are busy with activities and sports, they do not always have time to focus on family time or their other favorite hobbies. Now the international pandemic has opened a new window to appreciate and relish time with family.

“Yes, I do feel much closer [to my family] because going from volleyball to basketball and then right to soccer and AAU –I get super busy,” Fields said. “So it’s nice to just enjoy my family and be able to spend time with [my family], especially before my senior year.”