I’M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS

PHS students express their thoughts on whether or not they want a white Christmas

Emma Johnson

More stories from Emma Johnson

As+snow+starts+to+collect+on+the+mountains+near+the+east+entrance+of+Yellowstone+National+Park+%28Shoshone+Forest%29%2C+many+students+are+starting+to+wonder+if+the+same+amount+of+snow+will+be+seen+on+Christmas+morning.+

Emma Johnson

As snow starts to collect on the mountains near the east entrance of Yellowstone National Park (Shoshone Forest), many students are starting to wonder if the same amount of snow will be seen on Christmas morning.

If you heard the words 80 degree heat in Wyoming, it would be safe to assume that you would believe the current season is summer. 

In actuality though, the month is December and with tropical temperatures, many students at PHS are concerned over whether or not there will be snow on the ground come Christmas Day. 

“It seems to me, that once again, we may not have a white Christmas with how warm and dry it’s been,” sophomore Emmalee Nordland said. “But I do hope that maybe we could get some snow, though I doubt it.”

Speaking of white Christmas, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the term “white Christmas” is defined as “having 1 inch or more of snow on the ground on Christmas morning.” 

However for a select few of the student body, having an inch of snow is an inch too much. 

“It’s super cold and your floors end up super wet from the snow,” sophomore Kyra Hoffman said. “It also gets you up in your shoes so I really would rather have no snow at all.”

But then again, a vast majority of students believe snowfall is what makes Christmas, Christmas. Waking up to snow is a way for numerous kids to feel the nostalgia from their youth. 

“Having snow over Christmas break just helps create the whole ‘feel’ and reminds me of being little,” senior Reece Bauer said. “It wouldn’t be the end of the world but it definitely just isn’t the same if there isn’t any snow.”

Many others also share the same sentiment on that level of joy reached when the ground is covered in snow.  

“Having a White Christmas is kind of like having a birthday cake on your birthday,” sophomore Hadley Hincks said. “It is something that is supposed to come with it. Christmas isn’t supposed to be warm; it is supposed to be cold enough that you need to make a fire.”

In the grand scheme of things, it appears that the group consensus is that snow on Christmas isn’t going to make or break the level of holiday spirit felt that morning. At the end of the day, many feel hopeful that there will be frosted trees when they rise from their beds on Dec. 25. 

“I think there will be snow on the ground for Christmas because we haven’t had snow in a while,” sophomore Kinsley Braten said. “I think it’s time we get some snow and feel the excitement of looking out the window and seeing snow.”