RUNNING FAR

Cross Country Team competed at the 2022 3A West XC State Conference 

Sophomore+Kinley+Cooley+races+ahead+on+the+straightaway%2C+as+the+sides+of+the+course+are+designated+with+colorful+flags+to+mark+the+way+to+the+finish+line.+

Photo Courtesy of: Seth Romsa

Sophomore Kinley Cooley races ahead on the straightaway, as the sides of the course are designated with colorful flags to mark the way to the finish line.

“Run for your teammates. Run for you.” 

Before the state race, it has almost become a tradition for Cross Country Coach and Social Studies teacher Mrs. Ashley Hildebrand to give a meaningful quote that gets the team to power through the mile stretch that makes you breathe a little harder and focus on catching that one runner in front of you. 

Hosted in Ethete, Wyoming, the 2022 State Cross Country Meet had the Lady Panthers collectively finish 3rd in the 3A Division and the Panther boys ranking 10th. Sophomore Kinley Cooley led the team in points, crossing over the finish line in 6th place with a 20:44.42. On the flip side, it was senior and team captain Daniel Merritt who concluded his final season at 18:07.46, in 27th place.

For some among the team, there wasn’t just an appreciation for the running aspect, but also for the rare cultural insight provided by the Native Americans hosting the state meet. 

“The best part of State XC was the banquet or pow-wow the night before,” sophomore Kenna Jacobsen said. “It was so cool to see all of the culture and traditions and how they were able to share it with all of us.”

It was sad to end my season that way but I’m still proud of myself for finishing the race… being with my teammates at the banquet, in the hotel, and getting ready was super fun and really just a memorable experience.

— Megan Jacobsen

With an enjoyable experience the night before, it is fair to say that a majority of the team felt that they were prepared for whatever was on the course, and even if the final results weren’t perfect, there was something to take away from participating in the state competition. 

“I wasn’t proud of how I did personally at State,” senior Megan Jacobsen said. “I did the best I could, but my body didn’t feel as good as I hoped it would. It was sad to end my season that way but I’m still proud of myself for finishing the race… being with my teammates at the banquet, in the hotel, and getting ready was super fun and really just a memorable experience.” 

No matter the distance accumulated over the course of the season, the atmosphere of this group of runners indeed remains to be a positive one and despite the conclusion of a season, all it means is that there is more to look forward to in the coming months for the inaugural indoor season and a subsequent outdoor one. 

“We really got to be close this year and the team was just so special,” junior Brynn Hillman said. “Such a fun group of girls, I love them so much… I would love to win state outdoor track for the third time or break some records.” 

6 – Sophomore Kinley Cooley – 20:44.42

13 – Sophomore Kenna Jacobsen – 21:08.44

24 – Sophomore Jordan Black – 21:43.58

32 – Freshman Melissa Merritt – 21:59.05

34 – Freshman Audrey Johnson – 22:07.12

37 – Senior Megan Jacobsen – 22:15.69

39 – Junior Brynn Hillman – 22:20.94

___________________________

27 – Senior Daniel Merritt – 18:07.46

46 – Senior Jace Hyde – 18:42.67

57 – Sophomore Juan Torres – 18:59.17

58 – Freshman Korbyn Warren – 19:05.41

67 – Junior Breckin Streeter – 19:30.35

75 – Senior Kyle North – 19:49.14

82 – Sophomore Liam Taylor – 20:05.77

Link to official times for GIRLS:

https://competitivetiming.com/results/2022/2257513AG

Link to official times for BOYS:

https://competitivetiming.com/results/2022/2257513AB