The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 29Young Authors' Club Awards Ceremony @Powell Middle School - 5:30 PM
  • April 29National Honor Society Induction Ceremony @PHS Auditorium - 7:30 PM
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

HERE BY THE OWL

PCSD1 School District hires a new FFA advisor and Ag. Teacher
Advisor+Benjamin+Curdy+stands+by+his+2023-2024+officer+team.+
Powell Shoshone FFA Instagram
Advisor Benjamin Curdy stands by his 2023-2024 officer team.

The Advisor… Here by the owl… Why by the owl? The owl is a time honored emblem of knowledge and wisdom. Being older than the rest of you, I am asked to advise you from time to time as the need arises. I hope that my advice will always be based on true knowledge and ripened with wisdom.”

Among many hires within the PCSD1 School District, a new Ag Teacher and Advisor was needed. Mr. Benjamin Curdy was added to the Powell High School staff as an Ag Teacher and an advisor for the Powell-Shoshone FFA Chapter.

Question:  Why did you choose to take the job in Powell, WY?

Answer: I chose to take the job in Powell for a couple reasons. My wife and I decided several years ago that Wyoming is where we wanted to raise our family because of all the great things Wyoming has to offer and because of proximity to family in Wyoming and surrounding states.  I’ve had family go to Park County District 1, and I knew it was a good district and a place my family and I would enjoy. Lastly, the Powell job came open at the right time. I’ve been watching Ag Ed jobs in Wyoming for a couple of years. This year was the end of a couple of big commitments in North Dakota and this made it a good time to make the move now.

Question: What are some of your hopes for the chapter this year?

Answer: My hopes for the chapter this year would be to identify and achieve the hopes of the chapter members. I want those who participate in our chapter to be able to achieve the things that motivated them to get involved in FFA. I also hope to foster a culture of commitment and involvement that will lead our members to success in FFA and beyond. 

Question: What are you looking forward to this year?

Answer: I’m looking forward to getting to know the members of the chapter and community partners. I’m also looking forward to becoming familiar with all the traditions, activities, and opportunities on our POA, as well as those available throughout the state and surrounding areas. 

Question: Tell me a little about yourself. 

Answer: I lived in the Bighorn Basin in my youth and have spent most summer and fall seasons of my life visiting the basin area. I taught in North Dakota previously. I’m the father of 3 wonderful children. I’m ambidextrous. I come from a family of nine, all redheads. I’m a Capricorn. I enjoy sunsets.

Question: Why do you like sunsets?

Answer: I like them mostly because they are different every time. The same sunset will significantly change several times each evening. A sunset not only looks awesome but it transforms the landscape on which it shines. Having pictures of certain sunsets takes me back to the day I saw it and the event occurring at that time.