The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

MORNING RITUALS

Before-school activities help set the mood of the day
Danica Bobick
Offered to PHS students every day of the school week, PCSD1 gives the opportunity for breakfast meals at 7:30-7:50 in the morning. For some, this meal makes or breaks their day, like PHS junior Shannon Black.

Every morning students across the country wake up and prepare themselves for the school day. Their routines are more or less the same when it comes to rolling out of bed and heading out the front door. 

“I get up and I let my dog out, grab my phone, drink a glass of water,” junior Jesse Gardner said. “It takes about an hour to an hour and a half.”

Some routines take longer than others. It’s all up to what the person has to accomplish before they leave the house. Everyone has their own life and responsibilities. Schedules are rushed sometimes, but a lot of students still make time to do their hair or makeup. 

“I wake up, I sit up, I open my eyes, I put my makeup on then I get up and get dressed and I’m out the door,” junior Patience Paxton said. “I spend so much time on my makeup.”

Making sure their physical appearance is presentable is an important part of most people’s morning ritual. It’s a common theme that people make room to take care of their hygiene. Brushing teeth, putting on antiperspirant, and doing hair or makeup can be a part of the many things humans do to be presentable to peers.

“I wake up around 5-5:30 and then I get dressed, go downstairs, and eat breakfast,” junior Jordan Black said. “Since I’m Mormon, I read scriptures with my family and then I go to seminary, which is a church activity before school.” 

Schedules can be stressful and start early, so it’s a great idea that the students get a good night’s sleep.  A fair amount of students have to be ready to go as early as 6 o’clock. For example, a lot of students partake in religious activities which require time before school for those personal classes to occur.

I wake up around 5-5:30 and then I get dressed, go downstairs, and eat breakfast. Since I’m Mormon, I read scriptures with my family and then I go to seminary, which is a church activity before school.

— junior Jordan Black

Breakfast also appears to be a common theme. It’s good to eat a healthy breakfast before coming to school to jumpstart the brain. 

“I’d say that [breakfast has] got to have some sweetness to it but it just has to be able to wake you up,” Black said.

Many wake up, grab a snack, and hit the bus. It probably isn’t realized that most students have a similar morning ritual before they head to school. Some have pets to take care of and others have chores they need to do before leaving the house. Whatever must be done, it can be said that these morning rituals and responsibilities help prepare for a good day.