The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

THE PRICE IS RIGHT? OR NOT

Homecoming Olympics has students question the price tag for how much you go all out on the outfits
Sophie Czirr
Students dress up in various costumes to participate in Homecoming activities, ranging from Homecoming Olympics sponsored by the parent group or Buff Puff, as pictured above.

How important are costumes to the overall homecoming experience? Do bright-colored outfits and various styles of makeup truly impact how well the activity goes? Powell High School students share their opinions on how their costumes shape their homecoming enjoyment. 

Senior Maya Landwehr and her team chose to dress as insurance agents for this year’s homecoming Olympics. The crowd loved the chosen theme for their outfits, and the creativity contributed to their enjoyment of the activity. 

“I think the turnout was pretty good,” Landwehr said. “We had one of the best costumes out there. Everyone enjoyed and understood, which I was a little worried about that they wouldn’t, but they did understand it.” 

I think the turnout was pretty good. We had one of the best costumes out there. Everyone enjoyed and understood, which I was a little worried about that they wouldn’t, but they did understand it.

— senior Maya Landwehr

The students believed that the costumes increased the amount of fun they had with their participation in these homecoming events. 

“{The costumes} affected the experience positively,” junior Trevion Solberg said. “It was nice to have everyone on your team look the same. It was kind of like a uniform on a real team or real activity.” 

Some ensembles took less preparation than others, but the teams still ended with great results for the events. 

“For the Homecoming Olympics we dressed up as cavemen,” sophomore Ryan Barrus said. “A week before we started ordering bones and clubs and the  night before me and my mom made the costumes.” 

For the Homecoming Olympics we dressed up as cavemen. A week before we started ordering bones and clubs and the  night before me and my mom made the costumes.

— sophomore Ryan Barrus

A conclusion some students came to is that extensive prices aren’t necessary for great costumes. There are several ways to obtain great outfits for homecoming without avoidable spending. 

“Your costume doesn’t need to be super expensive,” Landwehr said. “You can find stuff at thrift stores. Don’t let costumes interfere with not being able to participate in any activities because it’s not that big of a deal. There was no point in stressing over the costumes.” 

Cooperation proved itself to be an important part of finding the right costumes. The teams had to work together in order to successfully create the right outfits for each of the activities. 

We were all willing to do buff puff. We were also willing to cooperate with each other and put in effort to make the costumes look good.

— sophomore Kyra Morrow

“We were all willing to do buff puff,” sophomore Kyra Morrow said. “We were also willing to cooperate with each other and put in effort to make the costumes look good.” 

The general consensus was that despite the costumes improving the overall experience, the ultimate result of the student’s enjoyment was not dependent on the turnout of the costumes. 

“Just participate and have fun,” Landwehr said. “Even if your costume didn’t cost you anything and you gave minimal effort, you can still have fun and enjoy yourself. The biggest part of homecoming is just bringing everybody together as a school and just reminding everyone that we’re all on the same team.”