The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 22(April 27) PROM @PHS Commons ~ 8:30 PM - 11:30 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

HE WALKS IN BEAUTY LIKE THE (K)NIGHT

Senior Jake Clifton shares knowledge of medieval history in PHS English classes
Jimmy Dees
Jake Clifton stares in disbelief as sophomore Trystan Preator modernizes the medieval helmet with a baseball hat.

On Friday, Dec. 1, a student draped in chainmail had the opportunity to showcase his extensive knowledge of medieval history and the standard armor of a templar. 

PHS senior Jake Clifton was a guest speaker in Mrs. Amy Moore’s first, third, fifth, and seventh-period English 10 class. Throughout his life, his father has imparted the history of medieval times and all the geographic and religious history that surrounds it.

“Basically my dad just had a big love for it,” senior Jake Clifton said. “Around the house, we had spears and swords and mock armor sets and whatnot, and what really got me into it was my dad. He has a mock armor set of Richard the Lionheart who was king of England for a while.”

Basically my dad just had a big love for it. Around the house, we had spears and swords and mock armor sets and whatnot, and what really got me into it was my dad. He has a mock armor set of Richard the Lionheart who was king of England for a while.

— senior Jake Clifton

Clifton has grown up with his dad competing in SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) armored combat. This typically entails suiting up in chainmail, helmet, and other knight garments and going to the ‘battle site’ and sparring with others who attend. To compete in the mock version, you must be at least sixteen years old. Non-lethal weapons are used in this version. However, once you turn eighteen, you can compete in the unrestricted version which uses real weapons and has caused fatalities.

“So the whole reason that I have this passion in the first place is my dad was a fighter for about eight years,” Clifton said. “As a kid, we’d spar out in the front yard, or dress out in armor to have a mock fight.”

On Friday, Clifton brought in a full clothing set of what a templar would wear. A few items included were chainmail, robes, authentic money pouches, and even a full-fledged helmet. Clifton finds joy in informing others of the historical value these pieces have. While in the classroom, he passed around every item he brought in.

“I feel like a lot of people nowadays kind of overlook the important parts of our history that helped solidify our place in history,” Clifton said. “Whenever I’m a guest speaker, I’m like, come on, you get a piece of history right there. Why not pick it up?”

I feel like a lot of people nowadays kind of overlook the important parts of our history that helped solidify our place in history. Whenever I’m a guest speaker, I’m like, come on, you get a piece of history right there. Why not pick it up?

— senior Jake Clifton

Clifton feels as though a lot of history has been lost in time, and wants to inform others to his best ability. Although he does not see a career in historical speaking, he wants to keep it as a hobby for as long as possible. 

“I just look forward to educating people and spring at any chance I get to tell people about the history of the ‘knight,’” Clifton said. “It kind of breaks my heart sometimes to see something that I’m so passionate about be overlooked by people.”

When asked what he’d tell someone who did not know medieval history, he said:

“You get to look really cool in armor.”