The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 22(April 27) PROM @PHS Commons ~ 8:30 PM - 11:30 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

PINNING THE CHRISTMAS SEASON

Powell High School wrestlers ring in the Christmas spirit off the mat
Nick Fulton
PHS wrestling team tries their hardest to get presents wrapped.

Christmas is an extraordinary time for many; ripping off wrapping paper to reveal a gift is quite thrilling. Not all are fortunate enough to open gifts though, which is what inspires the PHS wrestling team each year. 

In the holiday spirit, the PHS wrestling team puts on Wrestlers Christmas. This is a nonprofit tradition in which the wrestling team purchases Christmas gifts for those in need. 

“The goal is to give back to the kids,” junior boys wrestler Mitchel Wainscott said. “And to convince those that might not want to wrestle, that it is a great sport.”

The ultimate goal of the event is to purchase gifts for children in the community.  Many great donors make this event possible.

“We fundraise for it, and our parent group kicks in some money,” teacher and Head Wrestling Coach Mr. Nick Fulton said. “But we have a couple of donors that give to the organization. Really it is put together through fundraising efforts.” 

We fundraise for it, and our parent group kicks in some money. But we have a couple of donors that give to the organization. Really it is put together through fundraising efforts.” 

— teacher and Head Wrestling Coach Mr. Nick Fulton

While the team scavenges through Powell to find the perfect gift for their listed child, they have one goal in mind. 

“We get a list of the child’s wants and needs,” junior boys wrestler Mckale Foley said. “Then we go out and buy those things, and then later hand them to the child.” 

Since the team puts on this event each year, they can commonly assume what the children will request. Being in a very cold part of the world, children in need tend to require similar items. 

“Common things on the lists are the bare necessities,” senior girls wrestler Abigail LeBlanc said. “I would say pants, shoes and socks… but another big one is jackets because of the Wyoming weather.”

While hosting this event at PHS has become a very fun tradition, many forget just how this came about. 

“I started that around 2010 or 2011,” history teacher and former Head Wrestling Coach Mr. Nate Urbach said. “I had met another teacher that did it in Montana, and I just stole it straight up.”

But the idea of this event is much bigger than gaining publicity. The team puts on this event each and every year for a much more heartfelt outcome. 

“It’s good team building, [you] know… when they’re working on stuff together outside of the wrestling room,” Fulton said. “It is nice to watch them give back to the community.” 

While both the team and the community benefit from organizations such as these, it inspires many. 

“It made me feel actually really happy to be able to participate in wrestlers’ Christmas,” LeBlanc said. “Back when I lived in Las Vegas we never really had much of a sports team community, so I find that amazing.” 

Some wrestlers on the team will never forget participating and will carry these memories for a lifetime. 

“We had a girl, and she asked for an Xbox game,” Wainscott said. “We got her that, but we also got her a Starbucks cup, some toys, some socks, and even a nice coat for the winter.”