‘District’ draws best voices, musicians from Big Horn Basin

More stories from Kenadee Bott

Courtesy photo

Dr. Jonathan Hinkle directs the District band during the Nov. 18 concert.

The North Big Horn Basin District Music Clinic was staged at Northwest College Nov. 17-18.

The clinic, most commonly known as “District,” has been attracting students for many years to participate in the honor band and the honor choir. Students from the following schools participated:  Powell, Cody, Burlington, Worland, Rocky Mountain, Riverside, Greybull, Meeteetse, Lovell and Hot Springs.

With this clinic, students had the opportunity to increase not only their skill when it comes to music, but their ability to adapt to new environments. Most of the students who participated come from smaller bands with a large range of skill within. One of the many aims of this clinic was to show students how to sound better musically and provide them with information which may come to be valuable in their own school bands.

We put our best 11 players on the field, we put our best five players on the court, and maybe the best tennis player is playing the match against whatever double, while the other people are sitting on the bench.

— Dr. Jonathan Hinkle

“The heart of my philosophy is creating experiences for students for lifelong participation in instrumental music making,” clinic band director Dr. Jonathan Hinkle said. “What I’m trying to say is that after high school, I hope your instrument doesn’t go in a case, in a closet, or on eBay. I hope you continue to use it, because all of this wonderful training and all of these experiences that you’ve had then it starts to become easier and more fun.”

With band and choir, everyone has a part, no matter where you sit or what instrument you play. The sounds that emerge from the instruments or voices can be heard from all over, and praised if performed correctly. The amount of time that goes into playing this music is incredible when it is all added together.

“A band,” Powell Bands Director Mr. John Fabela said, “is only as good as its weakest player.”

Each day, PHS students participate in choir and band. Dr. Hinkle said music allows for immediate and unlimited participation.

“There is no bench in band. In every other activity that we have in sports, there is a bench,” Dr. Hinkle said. “We put our best 11 players on the field, we put our best five players on the court, and maybe the best tennis player is playing the match against whatever double, while the other people are sitting on the bench.”

Sports are a great way to participate in exercise and learn to be part of a team, but in those sports, not everyone participates at the same time. There are players watching and supporting their team while on the side. With band and choir, it is all occurring at one time. There is no sitting out, but that hasn’t stopped anyone from wanting to contribute.

Abigail Cubbage
The District choir performs during the final concert on Nov. 18 at the Nelson Performing Arts Center at Northwest College.

“I never ever meet someone who was in band as a youngster and comes up to me and says, ‘I shouldn’t have done that,’” Dr. Hinkle said. “Now think about that.”

Music is all over the world in one way or another. Whether it be with modern music or classical, it is heard by people everywhere. The difference between people who love music is some people enjoy listening to it, but others love to make music. That was the point of this music clinic. It was to teach students from all over how to make their music better.

All the clinic participants showed their appreciation at the completion of the concert, with loud cheers and applause. This was echoed by the capacity crowd.