NWC play set tone for holidays, helped those in need

Proceeds went to Loaves and Fishes program

Rachel Kuntz

More stories from Rachel Kuntz

THE SILVER LINING
April 28, 2020

Courtesy photo

The cast of It’s a Wonderful Life entertained over 1,100 people in December.

Actors, actresses and behind-the-scenes workers in elementary, middle and high schools along with college students, professors and community members came together to put on the production  It’s a Wonderful Life at the Northwest College.

More than 1,100 people attended the 1946 holiday classic written by James W. Rodgers, a record for Northwest College.The play ran Dec. 7-9. About 25 actors and actresses performed this production and had a full house each night. The money earned from the family friendly production earned goes to the spring children’s theatre and Powell Valley Loaves and Fishes food bank will receive an estimated 200 cans.

“I feel like it’s important to offer a show like this at a price that families can afford,” Co-director Fred Ebert said, referring to losing a little money from having to pay for everything out of their box office.

To prepare for the production, they started by helping the performers find and develop their character and progressed by going scene by scene. The actors had a short amount of time to get comfortable with the stage configuration and had the ability to handle the late scenery easily with the limited time given.

“I am so grateful to have had an opportunity to worth with so many talented and giving people on this production,” Mr. Ebert said. “I’m also grateful for so many people from the community who came and supported the production.”

Auditions were conducted in early September and had been rehearsals commenced. The youngest actress was a 4-year old and the oldest was 64 years old.

It was amazing to be a part of it.

— Mrs. Lenita Moore, PHS science teacher

Two Powell High School graduates as well as a Biology teacher performed in the play. 2016 graduate Kateri Schneider played Potter’s Secretary. Schneider had to look up how hair looked in the 40’s. She also had to watch Mean Girls to become her sassy secretary character.

“We all did a good job,” Schneider said, referring to her opinion on how the performance went. “We all get along and we work together fantastically.”

“The cast gave it their all,” Eliana Karhu said. “In my opinion, the performance went really well.”

2017 graduate Karhu had the role of Violet Peterson. Karhu’s character is opposite of her personality and channeled her inner diva. To prepare for this role, the directors had her flirt with other actors to get her into character.

“It’s really great to be able to do it again,” Karhu said, referring to being in theatre in high school. “To be able to participate in plays again is an amazing feeling.”

Mrs. Lenita Moore, a Powell High School Biology teacher played the role of Mother Bailey. To prepare this role, her and the cast looked up how the characters’ hair and makeup to compose the costume. Moore has watched the movie numerous times, so she knew the setting and background of the story.

“It was amazing to be a part of it,” Mrs. Moore said. “From the reviews and thoughts from others I think it went smoothly.”