Mr. Wormald prepares to take the reins

Assistant principal/activities director will replace retiring Mr. Kuhn as PHS principal

Rachel Kuntz

More stories from Rachel Kuntz

Rachel Kuntz

PHS Assistant Principal Mr. Tim Wormald works at his desk Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Wormald was officially announced as principal for the upcoming school year Jan. 15.

As a new era ends, another one begins.

And the new era at Powell High School will soon dawn as Assistant Principal/Activities Director Mr. Tim Wormald will take over as principal in the 2019-20 school year.

“I’m going to do my best to carry on the good things [retiring Principal Mr. Jim Kuhn] has going; we’re going to work really hard to help students out and keep learning a priority,” Mr. Wormald said. “I think all of us staff working together, trying to make condition good for learning will benefit our students and I think our students will buy into what we’re doing.”

In an email sent to the school district on Tuesday, Jan. 15, Superintendent Mr. Jay Curtis said: “In his time at Powell High School, [Mr. Wormald] has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the school community, and most of all to serving the students of this great district. He has proven leadership skills, and I have no doubt in his abilities to lead the High School to new heights.”

Mr. Kuhn has been principal at PHS for seven years, leading the staff, but also “preparing students for life.”

I want people to feel special and to like to come to Powell High School.

— Assistant Principal Mr. Tim Wormald

“Those are some big shoes to fill; Mr. Kuhn has done a great job of leading our staff and leading or school and has done right by students,” Mr. Wormald said. “[Mr. Kuhn] is my official and unofficial mentor. I feel like I’ve been blessed to have a great mentor who has lots of experience and I have tried my best to be a sponge and to soak up everything he was willing to teach me.”

Mr. Kuhn’s school spirit has been notable for students, specifically has cheer at the beginning of assemblies.

“When people hear about Powell and describe Powell, they think of this idea of Panther pride,” Mr. Wormald said. “[The late] Coach Stringer, when he coached our football team, used that to define his program. It also defines our school, school district and our community. One of the things I want to do is work with students to define Panther pride and how it drives us or what it requires of us.”

Mr. Wormald continued to pinpoint Mr. Kuhn’s influence on his career.

“I have really tried my best to learn from him and I’m very blessed to have seven years from him and being able to learn as much as I could. I hope to continue this environment where people feel valued and cared about. Mr. Kuhn did a great job in making people feel special, so that’s my goal; I want people to feel special and to like to come to Powell High School.”