ALL-STATE MUSIC: 10 students reflect on reaching musical milestone

More stories from Elisa Polson

Courtesy: John Fabela

All-State musicians (from left) Elisa Polson, Jay Cox and Austin Chandler were all smiles on concert night.

Ten high-achieving Powell musicians were selected to participate in the 2019 All-State Choir, Band, and Orchestra on Jan. 21-22 in Casper.

Among these were sophomore Sabrina Alvarez, senior Austin Chandler, junior Jay Cox, sophomore Kaelin Crichton, senior Kjelden George, sophomore Joe Kousoulos, junior Aaron Lind, senior Elise North, sophomore Elisa Polson, and senior Holden Wilson.

“It was really cool,” George said. “We got there and we could just start singing, we didn’t really have to work on technique it was just ready.”

Alvarez, Crichton, George, Kousoulos, Lind, North, and Wilson all performed in the All-State Choir. Chandler and Cox participated in the All State Band. Polson performed as part of the All State Orchestra.

In Choir, North sang Soprano 1, Alvarez alto 1, Crichton and Kousoulos Tenor 2, Wilson and Lind Bass 1 and George Bass 2. Chandler played Trombone 1, Cox Flute 2 and Polson French Horn 1.

Each musician had to work hard for the audition and in preparing the pieces that they were going to perform. They put in a lot of time and effort to get to the places where they are right now.

All-State is highly recommended for anyone who wants to pursue their interest in music, or just have fun.

“Work hard at it and work to get to it if you are interested because it is the most amazing experience that I have had in my entire time as being any kind of music student,” Lind said.

Courtesy: John Miller
All-State vocalists from PHS include (front left) Aaron Lind, Elise North, Holden Wilson, Kaelin Crichton, Joe Kousoulos, Sabrina Alvarez and Kjelden George.

They said it was sad to leave, but in the end, among the few hoarse voices and chapped lips, everyone there had an absolute blast.

“I enjoyed every aspect of All-State, even when we weren’t singing,” Crichton said.

Added George:  “[Music] helps you express yourself, because sometimes words can’t do what music can.