SENIORS AND SONGS

Band seniors and Rock of Ages cast star at basketball halftime.

Sami Cole

More stories from Sami Cole

Photo Courtesy of Greg Wise

PHS Drama Club performs “Don’t Stop Believing” during boys and girls basketball halftime.

The Powell High School Drama Club performed a piece from their upcoming play during halftime and the seniors participating in band were recognized at the girls’ and boys’ basketball games Feb. 13.

The cast from the play Rock of Ages performed “Don’t Stop Believing” during halftime of the basketball games, rallying up the crowd with the well-known music.

“I think the second time was awesome; I think we did really well, had really good energy and got the crowd up and moving,” sophomore Maggie Cappiello said. “The first time was a little rough, but we didn’t have a chance to actually practice all the way through before we went out.”

Although the halftime performance comes from the Rock of Ages play, the Drama Club is trying to improve a few things for the actual performance.

“We are trying to be louder, and something we had to stress was keeping energy up,” Cappiello said. “Your energy level should be 10 times what it was at the beginning, so we are trying to keep that up and sing louder.”

The actual Rock of Ages play will be Feb. 22-23 at 7 p.m. in the PHS auditorium. Admission will be $5 for students and $6 for general admission.

The seniors recognized for their participation in band were Austin Chandler, Kenadee Bott, Abigail Cubbage, Kjelden George, Charles Grotefend, Dylan McEvoy, Joelynn Petrie, Lucy Sullivan, Shaelynn Theriault and Bennett Walker.

Abby Landwehr
Seniors participating in band were acknowledged during senior night on Feb.12.

“This has been my seventh year,” senior Shaelynn Theriault said. “Honestly I think I just have become more artistic because I’m not really an artistic person. I don’t take art classes, but music is my outlet for things I do artistically. I really enjoy it.”

Shaelynn Theriault said. I don’t take art classes, but music is my outlet for things I do artistically. I really enjoy it.

— Shaelynn Theriault

Theriault has been participating in band for seven years and is hoping to continue her career in music after high school.

Although this may be the end for some students’ music careers, it’s only the beginning for others.