ONE SMILE AT A TIME

Two PHS students prove that a smile is the best sales tactic

Jace Bohlman

More stories from Jace Bohlman

EMPOWER PINK
December 6, 2019

(Left to Right) Matthew Pool and Mrs. Jacque Hunter stand together behind their smoothie cart.

A bright smile never seems to fail to improve someone’s day.  And this joy, along with Smoothies, are exactly what PHS special education students Matthew Pool and Noah Kiser, are offering in the Commons nearly every day after school.

Sophomore Abby Bradley has bought Smoothies from them in the past.

“Every time I buy a Smoothie from Noah, he just has the biggest smile on his face,” Bradley said. “Yes, it improves my typical day. His smile is contagious and seeing him so happy makes my day.”

While the emotional benefits for other students is expressed by Bradley, Special Education teacher Mrs. Jacque Hunter, who supervises the Smoothie sales, provided insight on how selling Smoothies is beneficial for Pool and Kiser.

“They have a lot to offer; I just think they need the appropriate supported environment to [apply what they are learning],” Mrs. Hunter said. “If they don’t have real hands-on stuff like [selling Smoothies,] then it’s hard for them to generalize what they are learning.”

The students also find themselves enjoying learning these life and social skills. 

“My favorite part is I like making money,” Pool said. 

And Pool added that he likes seeing people after school: “Yes, I do,” with a smile.

With sports taking place directly following school, the accessibility to a quick snack gives athletes otherwise neglected nutrition. 

“It’s really nice to be able to [quickly get] something to drink or eat after school and before practice or homework,” junior Riley Schiller said. “Buying food from Noah and Matt definitely brightens the day.”