SCOPING OUT THE WOUNDS

A closer look at the wounds inflicted by scopes during hunting.

PHS+Freshman+Dazi+Simpson+looks+through+the+scope+while+shooting.+

Photo courtesy: Jozi Simpson

PHS Freshman Dazi Simpson looks through the scope while shooting.

Chants of “wooing” and high fives are always expected after you drop a deer, dead in their tracks. But shouts of pain and blood? What?! Some PHS students and teachers have experienced “scope” wounds, and the tales behind them are rather gory. 

Two years ago senior Alejandro Flores experienced a bad bruise around his eye. This time last year, Flores was hunting for a general deer tag. A general tag is where you can shoot a buck for the first two weeks of November, then the rest of the month is only doe or even a fawn. 

“I just got a pretty decent bruise around part of my eye, but no stitches were needed.” Flores said. “It felt like I got punched, not super bad, just aggressive.”

Kenlie Black is pictured under the light while getting 5 stitches in her forehead, at Cody Regional Health.

Sadly, Flores didn’t end up getting the buck but said it still was a “heck of an experience.”

Similar to Flores, freshman Kenlie Black had to get five stitches after hurting herself while hunting for white tail deer in the heart mountain area. 

“It was a deep, clean cut with five stitches,” Kenlie B said. “It didn’t hurt that bad really. It didn’t hurt until blood started dripping in my eye.” 

Kenlie B was cared for by the Cody Regional Health, and said she didn’t really feel anything. 

“It stung when they gave me the numbing shots, but after that I didn’t feel a thing,” Kenlie B said.

Three years ago, senior Jaxton Braten was target practicing in the summer and was scoped also. Even though he wasn’t hunting for an animal, it still hurt. 

“It bruised really bad.” Braten said. “I flinch like every time I shoot because I’m scared it’ll come back and hit me again.” 

While hunting, David Holland was injured by the scope of his gun. (Photo courtesy: David Holland)

The opening day of hunting season Mr. David Holland, PHS Special Education teacher, was hunting his buck. A huge adrenaline rush hit him and the buck was down. And his forehead? He didn’t exactly feel the cut until the blood started oozing down into his eyes.

“I used to fight so I’m pretty used to getting hit in the head. It felt like sparring honestly and it didn’t even register that I scoped myself until the blood was dripping down my face,” Mr. Holland said.

Fortunately he did end up getting his buck and didn’t have to get stitches. 

“There was a decent little bruise around it, but I did not have to get stitches thankfully,” Mr. Holland said.