SPIDEY SPOILERS

PHS students share their preference on which Spiderman is the best

Taryn Feller

More stories from Taryn Feller

TRUE CRIME
May 26, 2022

Creative Commons

A Spider-Man is represented at Comic-Con. After the recent release of Spider-Man: No Way Home, many people have been talking about Spider-Man.

Spider-Man No Way Home, starring Tom Holland,was  released December 17th, and it already stands as the eighth highest grossing movie in the world. However, this film also sparked one huge question, “Who’s the best Spider-Man?”

The debate has always been whether Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield or Tom Holland play the best Spider-Man. Long-time Marvel fans at Powell High School share their opinions on who they believe is the best.

“Andrew Garfield is the best Spider-Man because his fighting scenes are the best and the most intricate,” sophomore Allie Gilliatt said. “His expressions and his acting is really good and he definitely portrays the emotions of Spider-Man well.”

Not only do Marvel fans believe his acting skills are better than the others, but they can also agree that he does play the best Spider-Man. 

“I’ve seen all the SpiderMan movies and Andrew Garfield is the best to me,” junior Rhiannon Huhnke said. “I just love him as an actor but I also love his script because there’s some pretty funny jokes.”  

Others disagree, and believe Tom Holland is the best Spider-man and Peter Parker. 

“The best spider man is Tom Holland, he is the most accurate. I also like the way he portrays both Peter Parker and Spider-Man,” senior Kolt Flores said. “People say that Andrew Garfield is the best Peter Parker, but in the movies they make him look like he is cool when he is supposed to be a nerd and be bullied all the time.”

Although Garfield fans say he is the best Spider-Man, some can agree on this topic that he doesn’t represent a comic accurate Peter Parker. 

“Andrew Garfield is the best out of all of them, but I kinda think that both Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland portray an innocent high school kid the best,” Gilliatt said. “Tobey and Tom are both just wholesome and kind Peter Parkers while Andrew is more about trauma and plays a cooler kid.”

It seems that all fans are aware that each actor does a good job. But, there’s something about their favorite that stands out from the others.

“If Andrew Garfield’s movies were better, he would have potential to be the best-spiderman,” Flores said. “And looking back at the Tobey Maguire movies, those aren’t that good, people are just blinded by nostalgia.”

We may never know the answer to the question, but it’s clear that people always stand by their choice.

“Before No way Home came out, it was hard for me to decide whether Tobey Maguire or Tom Holland was my favorite, but after it came out it was obvious that Holland is the best one,” Flores said.  “I think the end of No way home is going to set up his next movies perfectly, and there will never be another spiderman that tops him.”