ANNOYING CAR KEYS

Students gives their thoughts on the best place to keep their car keys

Jimmy Dees

More stories from Jimmy Dees

NEW YEAR, NEW GRADES
January 29, 2024
Whether it’s for a quick escape or because they forgot them, some PHS students leave their keys in the ignition on a day to day basis.

PC Jimmy Dees

When teenagers turn sixteen, most get a driver’s license and are opened up to a whole new world of possibilities and freedom. One of the first choices drivers have to make… what to do with the keys.

Whether the keys are on a carabiner, a lanyard or just sitting in the ignition all day, PHS students all handle their car keys in their own way. With this comes the question: why?

“All I drive are piles of crap,” senior Caden Sherman said. “I try my best now to take care of them, but in my suburban you can start it without the keys so leaving them in doesn’t really do anything.”

Sherman’s worry for getting a vehicle stolen does not extend very far. If someone wanted to steal his vehicle(s) and drive off into the sunset, they easily could. Then again, we are in Powell, Wyoming. 

Well, some keep it simple and just have the keys and the occasional lanyard, but this begs the question: what is the true purpose of the lanyard and why is it so popular?

“All I keep on my keys are the keys, and a lanyard,” junior Jack Van Norman said. “If they aren’t in my ignition, I can find them easier. The lanyard is something I can describe [if the keys were lost].” 

Losing a set of keys is not all that uncommon, so using a lanyard as a means of identification makes sense and is probably quite helpful. Car theft isn’t a major concern for some PHS students. 

“The locks don’t actually work,” sophomore Alexander Baker said. “It’s a really old beat up vehicle that isn’t worth much so I don’t really think people are going to steal anything.”

Baker usually drives his truck solely to work, so he doesn’t express much worry for getting it stolen either.

“I don’t really feel the need to keep the keys in there,” Van Norman said. “I don’t keep anything valuable in my truck. If someone steals it in this small of a town, it’s going to get found one way or another.”

Although anyone could walk up, turn the key, and drive away, Van Norman does not express any concern for his vehicle because in Powell, stolen items (especially vehicles) will show up.