CURING THE BOREDOM

PHS students share their favorite activities to cure their boredom in the small town of Powell

Taryn Feller

More stories from Taryn Feller

TRUE CRIME
May 26, 2022
A sunset is captured on a night drive, a common Powell activity.

Hannah Hincks

Trips to the mall, escape rooms, bowling and touring museums are all fun activities to do when bored. However, experiences such as those aren’t as available in small town Powell Wyoming. 

Growing up in Powell has many benefits, but it also has its downsides. One big disadvantage is it seems that there’s nothing to do. Although it’s tough to find activities, students at PHS have found ways to cure their boredom. 

“For me and others that can drive, I feel there’s more to do now since we have more freedom to do random and spontaneous things,” sophomore Carsyn Engesser said. “But before, we could only keep ourselves entertained with sleepovers or going to the coffee shop.”

Taking drives around Powell tends to be a popular activity among teenagers. Whether that means evening drives alone or night drives with friends, it satisfies. 

“I mostly drive around with my friends,” sophomore Shandi Salas said. “But I also spend my time going to the movies or watching the Panthers [sporting events].”

When finding something to do, people usually choose to hang out with friends. Some students choose to do this by going to the gym or practicing a sport.

“I drive around a lot, and I especially love night drives with friends,” junior Hannah Hincks said. “I also play tennis a lot in the summer so that’s definitely my favorite thing.”

Though Powell may not have many activities, the spring and summer months have more of a positive influence on teenagers’ boredom. Powell Aquatic Center or the only drive-in movie theater in Wyoming, American Dream Drive-in, are some examples of summer activities. But when those become repetitive, most people spend their time going to Powell’s neighboring town, Cody, to have fun.

“Powell doesn’t really have anything to do, so I spend most of my time going to Cody,” Engesser said. “Usually that means Walmart trips or lake days in the summer.” 

Others also agree that passing time in other towns is more enjoyable than driving in circles around Powell.

“There are not a lot of activities to do just whenever, so I usually spend my time going to other places that aren’t Powell,” Hincks said. “If you want to do more fun things like snowboarding, you have to go up to Sleeping Giant or Red Lodge, and if you want to shop, you have to go to Cody or Billings.”