ST. PADDY’S DAY

An inside look at one of the most underrated holidays

Jimmy Dees

More stories from Jimmy Dees

NEW YEAR, NEW GRADES
January 29, 2024

Jason Peterson

Sophomore Liz Peterson’s dog, Dixie, is shown dressed up for St. Patrick’s Day.

Every year March 17 rolls around, and with it comes a very unappreciated holiday. Some people go all out for the holiday while others let it pass by without a thought. This holiday is known as St. Paddy’s day.

Although commonly misspelled as “St. Patty’s day,” this Irish holiday is actually spelled as “Paddy’s.” Named after the patron Saint Patrick. Paddy is a shortened version of Padraig, the Gaelic version of Patrick.

According to Merriam Webster, “‘Paddy’ is the shortened form of Patrick, which itself comes from Pádraig. While the holiday is sometimes spelled “St. Patty’s Day,” some find this to be offensive as “Patty” is a shortened form of the female name ‘Patricia.’”

Regardless of how it is spelled or pronounced, St. Patricks Day is a holiday filled with food, green clothing and the luck of the irish. Here’s how some PHS students celebrate.

“We dress in green of course, and listen to traditional Irish music,” sophomore Emmalee Nordland said. “I make my legendary Irish farl soda bread and an Irish breakfast called ulster fry. For dinner we have Irish corned beef and cabbage, and afterwards, we watch the St. Patrick’s day Veggie Tales as tradition.”

To say the least, lot’s of food is eaten on St. Paddy’s day. For those that don’t know, ulster fry is a fried dish consisting of ham, bacon, eggs, baked beans, sauteed tomatoes and mushrooms, and sausage. 

Corned beef and cabbage is very popular in the U.S. Although, not everyone is very fond of this meal, even those who eat it every year.

“The only thing we do [to celebrate] is my mom cooks corned beef and cabbage,” senior Emma Bucher said. “We make it every year on St. Patrick’s day, and I think it tastes very bad, but don’t tell my mother.”

Despite not being super popular among all individuals, corned beef and cabbage is a pretty standard meal. It’s just Irish corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage thrown into a crockpot and left to cook. 

Sometimes people assume that certain people are irish. Red hair is a very common way to mislabel someone as irish.

“As you all know, I have red hair,” sophomore Keegan Hicswa said. “Everyone thinks I’m Irish even though I don’t have any Irish roots. A lot of times I get stereotyped by everyone for having red hair. That includes the interviewer here, Jimmy.”

As you all know, I have red hair. Everyone thinks I’m Irish even though I don’t have any Irish roots. A lot of times I get stereotyped by everyone for having red hair. That includes the interviewer here, Jimmy.

— Keegan Hicswa

Everyone celebrates St. Paddy’s day differently. Some go all out, some get stereotyped and some get pinched for not wearing green. It is a very odd holiday, but maybe next year you should try some corned beef and cabbage or ulster fry.