LIVIN’ THE DREAM

PHS students share their thoughts on the Morgan Wallen concert

Jimmy Dees

More stories from Jimmy Dees

NEW YEAR, NEW GRADES
January 29, 2024

Abigail Eaton

Abby Eaton gives a heart to Morgan Wallen while he is on stage.

On Saturday, May 14, a famous country star performed in a sold-out arena not so far from home. Morgan Wallen performed in Billings, Montana, attracting over 12,000 fans, some of whom were from Powell.

“I thought it was going to be pretty lame, but I was surprised at how good it was,” freshman Dusty Carter said. “The opening guy, Larry Fleet, set it off right. Then HARDY came out and sang one of his newest songs. After a while, Morgan Wallen came out and sang all of his songs. It lasted until about 11:00 P.M and was a really good concert.”

Morgan Wallen, originally born in Sneedville, Tennessee, is a 29 year old country singer who has seen huge success in recent years. This is the first time he’s been on tour.

“I’ve been to a lot of concerts and I can easily say it was one of the best ones I’ve been to,” sophomore Stevee Walsh said. “The light show and just performances overall were really good. We didn’t have great seats but it was still super fun.”

I’ve been to a lot of concerts and I can easily say it was one of the best ones I’ve been to. The light show and just performances overall were really good. We didn’t have great seats but it was still super fun.

— Stevee Walsh

The MetraPark Arena was modified to include a stage with a very large, neon M and W, many spotlights, and a huge array of lasers. These all came together to form a fantastic concert.

“I loved it when HARDY played, because I love HARDY,” sophomore Abigail Eaton said. “I didn’t really know the first guy that opened for him. He was good, I just didn’t know any of his songs.”

The opening act was put on by Larry Fleet, a fellow country singer who has joined Wallen on previous concerts in the Dangerous tour. Fleet is signed on the same record album as Wallen (Big Loud).

“My favorite part of the concert was the people I met,” Carter said. “I met a drunk guy and his wife who were sitting in front of me and we became good friends.” 

Concerts aren’t always totally about the musical experience. Yes the music is good but sometimes the lasting memories are of the people you meet there.