The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

BARBIE MOVIE: GORGETASTIC OR TOTAL FLOP?

PHS Students weigh in on new movie
Allie Gilliatt
Allie and Ava Gilliatt posing in front of the Barbie movie poster.

The Barbie movie came out this year. Many people that came to see the movie are split, half think it is a fun movie, the other half think it is a disgrace to all Barbies.

One of the most alluring parts of the Barbie movie is the set. The Barbie Dreamhouse recreated in the astounding set of Barbie Land.

“The best part about the movie was the first hour and a half,” sophomore Alex Watts said. “I just loved seeing the Barbie set come to life.” 

The Barbie movie has it all-the slide instead of stairs, no walls or doors, and of course everything is pink. The set of Barbie Land is seemingly every girl’s dream. Although the set is magical, to some, the movie was not. 

“All of it was the worst part of the movie,” freshman Caydee Eden said. “They didn’t even put her sisters in it. There was only ‘Barbie’ and ‘Ken;’ no other known Barbie was even mentioned in the Barbie movie. There was no individuality in the movie, except for Allan. The Kens were just ‘Other Ken.’ They didn’t even have a job title like the Barbies.” 

Others  focused on the great humor and joy the movie had. The Barbie movie is supposed to be a comedy and they delivered. 

“I thought it was a very silly movie,” Watts said. “The humor was great, there were many jokes and overall it was just a fun movie.”

The plot of the movie was bad. I feel like the message was just awful.

— sophomore Brighton Streeter

The plot of the movie, described by fans, is fun and entertaining. However, boring and less-than mediocre is how some critics would recount the plot.  

“The plot of the movie was bad,” sophomore Brighton Streeter said. “I feel like the message was just awful.” 

Most denouncers thought that the main message from the movie was terrible and many people thought that the plot was not only bad, but also confusing.

“It [the plot] just wasn’t appealing to me,” Streeter said. “Just the way it was all put together.” 

There seemed to be many different story lines. One about the mom and her daughter, another about Barbie, and another about Ken, all mixed together in an unorganized fashion. Even though the plot appeared confusing to some, the majority of fans loved the story line.

“I liked the part of the Barbie movie where all the Barbies are supporting each other,” senior Bailee Sherman said. “They have each other’s back and it shows a good message.”

I liked the part of the Barbie movie where all the Barbies are supporting each other. They have each other’s back and it shows a good message.

— senior Bailee Sherman

All viewers have different opinions and variations of recounting exactly how good or bad the Barbie movie is. Some seem to wish they never watched the movie; others are waiting for the second one to come out. One thing that most people can agree on is that the “I’m Just Ken” song is spectacular.