The student news site of Powell (Wyo.) High School

The Prowl

Breaking News
  • April 27Varsity Track Invitational @Rocky Mountain
  • April 26Varsity Wyoming Track Classic @Casper, Kelly Walsh High School
  • April 26Varsity Golf Invitational @Powell Golf Club
  • April 25Powell High School Art Extravaganza @PHS Commons
  • April 23Soccer JV Boys VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM
  • April 23TOMORROW: Late start for upperclassmen @10 AM (WYTOPP testing for underclassmen)
  • April 23Dance Team Parent Meeting @PHS Library - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer JV Girls VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Boys VS Cody @Cody - 6 PM
  • April 23Soccer Varsity Girls VS Cody @Cody - 4 PM

The Prowl

The Prowl

A ‘CLASSY’ MOVE?

PHS Educators opt for more advanced classes for students at such a level
Ranging+from+Spanish+to+literature%2C+PHS+students+and+educators+agree+that+there+is+a+need+for+more+classes+for+the+advanced+upperclassmen+of+Powell+High+School.+
Ava
Ranging from Spanish to literature, PHS students and educators agree that there is a need for more classes for the advanced upperclassmen of Powell High School.

Students have many options for classes, or so they thought… Some teachers think that there should be more class options, from a Spanish 5 to a Modern Media and Literature class. 

“It would be great to have a Spanish 5 class,” Spanish teacher Mr. Brandon Preator said. “It would be very useful for some of the students that would like to keep studying Spanish.”

Powell Middle School provides the option to take Spanish 1 for high school credit. Because of this, many Spanish students are not able to take a Spanish class as a senior.

Some students would like to keep studying Spanish but the college Spanish class isn’t an option for them. I have had quite a few students bring it [Spanish 5 class] up as something they would want to do.

— Spanish teacher Mr. Brandon Praetor

“Some students would like to keep studying Spanish but the college Spanish class isn’t an option for them,” Preator said. “I have had quite a few students bring it [Spanish 5 class] up as something they would want to do.”

It is not just students who want more class options; it is also teachers. English teacher Mrs. JoEllen Varian would like to start a Modern Media and Literature class.

“I believe it would benefit students because the class I want to teach is an approach to modern media and literature,” Varian said. “[This] would include analysis of modern books and movies in addition to other popular media.”

CTE and Health teacher Mrs. Kandi Bennett also believes more class options would benefit students.

The more opportunities young people have to learn. Especially a skill or a trade or a passion or an interest.

— CTE and Health teacher Mrs. Kandi Bennett

“[It would give] more opportunities young people have to learn,” Bennett said. “Especially a skill or a trade or a passion or an interest.”

All classes have to meet some type of standard or goal. Mrs. Varian’s idea has specific objectives that will be useful to students.

“My goal is to show older students the availability and use of English skills in a contemporary world that feels more applicable to them.” Varian said. “This would have the biggest impact on encouraging students to continue to learn and pursue interests and information outside of the classroom.”

Although more class options would greatly benefit many students, the obstacle that needs to be addressed is the school’s capacity size.

“That’s always the big question, is not only enough students, but do we have the facilities to do it?” Bennett said.

It is not just teachers and students that want more class options, the Wyoming Department of Education (WDE) is implementing changes..According to the WDE, “Starting in January, schools can participate in Trout in the Classroom, National Archery in the Schools Program and Hunter Education. All three programs align with Wyoming education standards.”