THE APPLE WATCH: Gateway to academic dishonesty?

More stories from Kara Borcher

Kara Borcher

Senior McKennah Buck depicts what it might look like if a student uses their Apple Watch to get an unfair advantage on an assignment. More and more students are using smart watches to cheat in class.  

Smart watches are becoming more and more prevalent, and with their many useful tools comes responsibility to use them honestly.

Apple Watches in particular are becoming infamous in classrooms.

“I don’t believe there is a large population of students who have smart watches,” Dean of Students Mr. Scott McKenzie said. “But it has come to my attention that students are sharing smart watches with each other for tests [and] quizzes.”

According to a survey conducted by theoutline.com, 22 percent of students have an Apple Watch or have access to one. This can lead to rising rates of cheating with the easily accessed home screen and many useful apps that can be added to the smart watches.

There is no data regarding how many of those students use their watches to get a dishonest advantage in class, but it is definitely happening.

“I do not think the use of smart watches to cheat is a large issue at the current time,” McKenzie said. “But there have been some cases in recent weeks of students giving it a try.”

Recently, a YouTube video has been circulating, posted by Nikias Molina, describing the many ways an Apple Watch can be used to cheat on tests and included tips and tricks to be successful at it. (theoutline.com)

The video was posted in 2018 and since has received over 120,000 views.

Sometimes the need to use technology like smart watches to cheat is seen as unavoidable. School might get too difficult, or life catches up with a student and they just can’t find time to study for the upcoming biology exam. However, punishment is severe despite the reason.

Students who use their watches for cheating are subject to the same punishment as those who use more conventional ways.

“The student handbook states that any form of cheating in class results in the student receiving a zero for that particular assignment,” McKenzie said. “The same will hold true if the cheating is discovered by using a smart watch … the student would earn a zero.”

“The same will hold true if the cheating is discovered by using a smart watch … the student would earn a zero.

— Mr. McKenzie

Those who have Apple watches find them useful for a few key functions.

“I got it because it was the new fad,” senior Jasmyne Lensegrav said. “I used it to text when I didn’t have my phone and to watch my steps.”

Apple markets the watch as a fitness tool, one that can track your steps and monitor your heartbeat.

Mr. McKenzie’s take on the watches is skeptical.

“My opinion of students having smart watches in school is that as long as they are used as they were intended … I’m fine with them,” McKenzie said. “If students choose to use their watch inappropriately, I believe they should be taken by the teacher and we will address the issue in the office.”