BACKBONES OF THE SCHOOL

Meet the women who help keep PHS running smoothly

More stories from Abi Cubbage

BLACKHAWK UP
May 3, 2019

More stories from Scarlette Mendoza

Abi Cubbage

Powell High School administrative assistants include (from left) Mrs. Susan Skalsky, Mrs. Vicki Walsh, Mrs. Kathy Ackley and Mrs. Tammy Thiel.

Powell High School is lucky to have such supportive and hard-working staff. It’s time the students and staff get an idea of what they do for the school and how they keep the school organized.

The administrative assistants consist of Mrs. Vicki Walsh, Mrs. Kathy Ackley, Mrs. Tammy Thiel and Mrs. Susan Skalsky. Here’s a look into who they are and what they do.

QUESTION: What is your title/job and primary responsibilities?

Walsh: Administrative assistant for activities and athletics

Ackley:  Administrative assistant/attendance

Thiel: I do a variety of things for my job, that is why I like it so much.  I do a lot of behind the scenes work to help the counselors with master scheduling, NWC dual and concurrent enrollment, state reports, scholarships, testing, credit recovery courses, invoice processing, transcripts, new student data entry, transcript processing for current and past students, weekly announcements, college and military representative visits, senior recognition banquet and so much more. There is always plenty to do.

Skalsky: I work with New Student Registration and Transfers, handle all the money coming through Powell High School, keep track of subs for teachers, purchase orders, budget, honor roll, student of the month, graduation and anything else that comes my way.

QUESTION: How long have you worked at Powell High School?

Walsh: 21 years

Ackley: 19 ½ years

Thiel: 4 years

Skalsky: 25 years

QUESTION: How did this job grab your attention? How did you get the job?

Walsh: Before I got this job I was substituting in the school district.  The head of human resources at the district office contacted me and told me about a new secretarial position that was opening up at the High School and she thought I should apply.  I applied and got the job. It has changed some over the years, when I first started I helped with activities and I also did attendance. A couple of years after I started they changed my job description and it was fully changed over to taking care of everything in the Activities & Athletic Department.

Ackley : I was moving from North Idaho to Wyoming and applied for this job.  I drove 9 hours to interview for it.

Thiel: All of my children graduated from Powell High School, so  I knew several people at PHS and had a general idea of what happened in the counseling office. After my youngest child graduated in 2012, I started thinking about going back into the workforce. I decided to apply for the counseling office administration assistant position when I saw the advertisement in the paper.  I got the job because I must have answered all of the questions correctly in the interview. Seriously, I think they offered me the job because I am organized, a hard worker, have a positive attitude and can work with most people.

Skalsky: I was working as a para at the high school and the principal informed me of the opening in the counseling office. I started in the counseling office for nine years and then moved in to the principal administrative assistant for the past 16 years.

QUESTION: What has been your favorite part of the job and your least favorite part of the job?

Walsh: I love getting to work with the kids and helping students. It is fun to build relationships and watch kids grow from their freshman to senior year.  I really do like sports so being able to help in this department is a lot of fun. Working with all the coaches and student athletes has also been a part of my job I really enjoy. My least favorite part of my job is being the school nurse when the school nurse is not here. I don’t do blood or throw up!!

Ackley: My favorite part is working with the students.  My least favorite is the drive in the winter from Clark.

Thiel: My favorite part of the job is working with people. I enjoy watching students grow during their four years here at PHS.  It is fun to help students with scholarships, college applications and such. My least favorite part of the job is working with people. I get very frustrated when people are rude and lazy.

Skalsky: My favorite part of the job is graduation in hearing and seeing the students accomplishing their goals and achievements. I enjoy hearing what their plans are after they graduate and visiting with them when they come back to PHS.  My least favorite was sub calling but with AESOP(sub computer program); it has helped a lot.

QUESTION: Do you help with any extracurricular activities?

Walsh: I have been coaching the PHS Cheer for the past 20 years.  I help out at games, tournaments and when we host regional and conference events.

Ackley:  I usually work at the track meet in the spring.  I helped with the regional wrestling selling tickets.

Thiel: Mr. [Nick] Fulton and I are Student Council co-advisers. In addition to Student Council, I work with the junior class planning Homecoming, Winter Formal and Prom.  I also usually help work at the front door when PHS hosts regional events.

Skalsky: Yes, I was a Student Council adviser for nine years.  I have kept the scorebook for volleyball games, a timer for basketball games, worked track meets, supervised at dances and help in any way that I can.