IT’S TIME TO MAKE-A-WISH

NHS and Student Council help with Make-a-Wish week with dress-up days and activities March 11-14

More stories from Kara Borcher

Powell High School Student Council Facebook

Last year’s Make-a-Wish carnival featured a face painting booth. This year there will be another carnival in an effort to raise funds to grant another wish.

Powell High School Student Council has staged Make-a-Wish week every year, and this year is no different, with the festivities kicking off March 11. This year, National Honor Society is helping out to make a sick child’s wish come true.

Student council and NHS members said they are excited for the upcoming events and are encouraging as much participation as possible.

“It’s a ton of fun putting together the events and raising money for a good cause,” student council member Ariana Rodriguez said. “It’s really fun when everyone gets involved and participates.”

The dress-up days are as follows:

• Monday, March 11: Cancer Colors
  • Tuesday, March 12: Twin Day
  • Wednesday, March 13: Decades Day
  • Thursday, March 14: Hat Day
  • Friday, March 15: Make-a-Wish colors.

On March 11, a pancake breakfast will kick off the week and will be 7:20- 7:50 a.m.; you can purchase three pancakes for $1. This day also marks the beginning of a new-found fundraising idea called Toilet Tag. This is a unique fundraising effort that involves a decorated toilet to be placed in a random classroom. Teachers and classes as a whole can pay to send the toilet to other classrooms.

“Throughout the week of Make-a-Wish, classes have the opportunity to pay $5 to get it out of the classroom, $10 to get it out and pick where it goes next, or $20 to ban it from the classroom for the week and pick where it goes next,” student council member Hailee Paul said.

makeawish.org
Make-a-Wish week 2019 will take place March 11-15. Student Council and NHS are putting on fundraising activities to grant a wish for a sick child.

For Decades Day on March 13, seniors will dress up for the ’90’s, juniors the ’80s, sophomores the 2000s and freshmen the ’70s.

Hat Day will be March 14 and students can pay $2 to wear a hat. There will also be a chili cook-off and carnival on this night. The carnival will feature games and activities for the whole family. The chili cook-off is open for everyone and entries are due March 1.

The fun wraps up March 15 with Make-a-Wish Color Day. The student body is expected to deck themselves out in blue, white and silver in support of the organization. There will also be an assembly this day, with auctions for parking spots and other items.

The annual Miracle Minute will also be staged at the assembly where buckets are passed around to collect as much change as possible in one minute.

Of the many items up for auction there will be the chance to throw a pie in the face of a teacher.  The winner of the pie in the face will be determined by jars placed in classrooms to collect change. The teacher with the most money in the jar at the end of the week will be pied.

NHS and Student Council are hoping for a huge turn-out to help support this cause.

“It should be a ton of fun,” NHS President Lucy Sullivan said. “It’s for a great cause and I’m proud of NHS for helping out.”