WHERE IDEAS TAKE FLIGHT

Prowl reporter shares her experience with the first MakerSpace in Wyoming.

More stories from Joelynn Petrie

Powell MakerSpace logo.

Designed by Hattie Pimintel

Powell MakerSpace logo.

On the corner of Clark and 3rd street lies a building. The older generation knows it as the old Home Ec. building. The younger generation, however, just knows it is a building.

But the nerds, the makers, the doers, know it as the MakerSpace — a  place to spend hours and hours working on projects.

The MakerSpace he place where you can build anything you want, ranging from bath bombs to CNC milled robot parts to putting LEDs into clothing. Anything is possible.

And Powell was the first to bring this place to Wyoming.

MakerSpaces are scattered all over the world — from New Jersey to China to Paris to San Francisco. They are everywhere.

The Powell MakerSpace has such a huge impact on the people who use the facility.

In the past I had the honor of teaching Early Release Wednesday classes to middle school students. I taught the classes at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.

While I wasn’t with the MakerSpace for a long time, the experience I had by teaching middle school students different arts and craft projects during those weeks left a mark on me.

The enthusiasm the kids had for all the projects was inspiring. It made me want to do better so they could enjoy those two  hours we had together.

I am not the only one who has been impacted by their involvement with the MakerSpace.

All of the members of the PHS Robotics team 3188, Alan Merritt, Jenna Merritt, Maddie Horton, Tristen Willet, Ethan Bartholomew and Caden Sherman, have a deep connection to the MakerSpace. They spent a large portion of the Robotics Season at the MakerSpace going from after school until at the earliest 7  p.m,. and on Saturdays 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

The point is that building isn’t just a building. It’s a place where students and adults alike can go and express themselves by creating whatever they want.

— senior Joelynn Petrie

And that doesn’t even begin to cover the time they spend there by themselves.

Senior President of the Robotics Club and team Captain of 3188, Alan Merritt, spent an average of 20+ hours per week during the Robotics season and spends now a few hours per week. He is also involved in Track and is helping with Art’s helicopter project.

Sherman spends an average of 10 hours per week at the MakerSpace.

And this is only the students. Who knows how many hours the adults spend at the MakerSpace?

The point is that building isn’t just a building. It’s a place where students and adults alike can go and express themselves by creating whatever they want. It’s a place where bonds are formed. It’s a place where ideas are given flight.